14U Hitting - Timing The Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Part of the timing process is the hitters approach. If they are trying to wait to see if the pitch is a strike before they start their swing they will be late. Very late. Lot of good stuff in this video. Foot up early. But the self talk confidence is priceless.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Either way this is going to go off the rails with comments. IF you have video, post options you feel best show the issue...Without seeing examples it'll be hard. Simple things to look at focusing on week to week...Sequencing drills, and like I see stated here, 3 plate front toss drills spaced out distance wis,e from where you are forced to adjust properly. 2-3 swings at each plate then rotate to the next.

Jun 22, 2019
My oldest daughter was always ahead of the ball at that age. I don’t know how many balls she hit over the 3rd base line fence, but it was a ton.

like UNCDrew said, load when the pitcher loads.
Don’t use a pitching machine…the consistent spin and speed is a problem IMO.
Change speeds during front toss.

I did front toss from about 15 ft away and was throwing the ball a consistent speed and too hard. She got used to it, but her timing was off because she wasn’t seeing a full wind-up and got a the same speed every pitch.

To fix it, I started moving the screen back and going through a full wind-up, then I would move it closer and throw it a little slower or faster.

This is a pretty common issue and honestly just seeing more live pitches will help.

Nov 26, 2020
She could not be getting the bat in the zone early enough. If she gets the bat in the zone early she has margin for error. I'm seeing that a lot with our girls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478