So apparently I’m a pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
You are better than me. I have been coaching my DS's 7U coach pitch team and after almost 2 months I still cannot get most of the kids to not turn their glove over when trying catch a ball thrown at them..they catch it in the gut more than the glove.
Atand 6 to 8 feet away, have them hold glove in hand waving position in to glove side glove gingers pointing up shoulder high.. toss ball directly into pocket, quick enough they cannot turn glove over.. repeat ad nauseum to develop confidence in their glove. As them get hang of it. Move to different glove positions, but still 6 to 8 feet, quick toss right into web. Let them become confident in their gloves ability to accept and close on ball

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2019
Its good to hear that she is learning right. It makes me think of the situation i am in: I am coaching a 10u team and we do not have a single player that has ever played a single game of softball, let alone pitchers. We have 2 weeks of practice before our first game. This could (will) get ugly at times

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
Consider having them start with slingshot more strikes probably at least. Is there walks or fo coaches pitch after 4 balls

Mar 28, 2014
Atand 6 to 8 feet away, have them hold glove in hand waving position in to glove side glove gingers pointing up shoulder high.. toss ball directly into pocket, quick enough they cannot turn glove over.. repeat ad nauseum to develop confidence in their glove. As them get hang of it. Move to different glove positions, but still 6 to 8 feet, quick toss right into web. Let them become confident in their gloves ability to accept and close on ball

All good instruction but unfortunately not practical. The problem is, with 12 girls on the team, if you spend just 5 minutes with each girl doing what you described, you've used up 1 hour of your practice and each girl only got 5 minutes of instruction. Hardly ad nauseum. So forget about repeating ad nauseum. Not enough time.

This stuff falls on the parent. If they aren't working with their kid at home, it's not going to get fixed in practice.

Jun 26, 2019
After 4 balls the coach pitches. I know there are great 10 year old pitchers out there but for this level i am glad for the coach pitch rule, hopefully my shoulder can take it lol

May 6, 2015
All good instruction but unfortunately not practical. The problem is, with 12 girls on the team, if you spend just 5 minutes with each girl doing what you described, you've used up 1 hour of your practice and each girl only got 5 minutes of instruction. Hardly ad nauseum. So forget about repeating ad nauseum. Not enough time.

This stuff falls on the parent. If they aren't working with their kid at home, it's not going to get fixed in practice.
yes, meant to say you demo with parents watching. then talk to them, and tone and working make it clear you assume they are working at least 30 minutes a day with their kids. dont ask, assume it, and base all your communication on this assumption.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
You have to throw it at their heads! They need to be properly motivated!

You are better than me. I have been coaching my DS's 7U coach pitch team and after almost 2 months I still cannot get most of the kids to not turn their glove over when trying catch a ball thrown at them..they catch it in the gut more than the glove.
be

Oct 4, 2018
Guy I know that has a tee ball team said if they threw a single kid out at first by end of year it was a good year. Understand how you feel on the catching DDs team has several catching like that. Some of the kids apparently have a glove but no ball at home so don’t think they are getting any help at home. Visual that finally clicked when DD started playing was that of starting fingers up and thinking like a windshield wiper so the pocket never faced away from ball. Caught her teaching her brother same thing he’s doing better but it took lots of tennis balls and bean bags to get him not to be afraid of ball.

Definitely use the window washer analogy. We did that in practice #1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles