When must you make the move... or do you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

h8weakness

Bucket Dad
Jan 9, 2019
Mishawaka, IN
Here's my question.

At what time in a DD's career is it important to switch to a National team so that she's looked at by top college coaches?

My DD plays on a 13U team with amazing coaches and players. We've won our last PGF tournament, came in second place the PGF tournament prior and are ranked #1 nationally (points) in Usssa.

We have turned a lot of heads as of late but we're a team no one has ever heard of. We're not the batbusters, bandits, glory... whatever.

I honestly believe that her coach is the best softball coach around. I feel leaving this team would be a step back in her development, but going to a "national" team would get her in front of more college coaches. At 13u (going into 14u) we have no plans on leaving this team.

Am I doing my DD a disservice if we don't change in 16u or would just showing up to the college's camps she wants to play for be enough to get her noticed?
She wants to play D1 and I believe that she's got the ability and drive as a pitcher to get there.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-081241_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-081241_Chrome.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 101
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
A couple of things: you're assuming the team will stay together that long. Not a safe assumption. And you're assuming that you'll feel the same way about the team in two or three years. Also not a safe assumption. Things can turn on a dime in travel ball. Trust me; been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

Secondly, if she's a lights-out pitcher throwing 65 with six different pitches and perfect control, she's going to get recruited regardless of team. However, there is something to being with an established org (caveat: if you're one of the high-level teams, not the low-level ones that fund the high-level ones) because they often get the "good fields" at showcases and other perks like that.

Personally, I say don't sweat it until you hit 16U. Frankly, with the COVID mess right now, college coaches are freaking out dealing with their recruiting of 21s and 22s. I don't think they're looking out so far as 1st year 14U with a few exceptions.

So, relax, enjoy the ride and re-evaluate at 16U.

Jun 26, 2020
You said it all when you mentioned the coaching. Great coaching is nearly impossible to find at every level. National teams are a hoax. If they were so great national team's would supply every college with every softball player. That's far from the truth. It's just something cute for players and parents to say at gatherings.

I have been very blessed to have both of my girls highly recruited. They have never played on a national team. Never wanted to. They were found with little or no marketing. Coaches and athletic directors are searching high and low for excellent athletes, teammates, and students. The best advice I can give is make sure that your girl keeps incredible grades and participates in community projects.

Honestly when the smoke clears being a collegiate athlete it's not all it's cracked up to be. So many bail within the first couple of years because of academic requirements

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here's my question.

At what time in a DD's career is it important to switch to a National team so that she's looked at by top college coaches?

My DD plays on a 13U team with amazing coaches and players. We've won our last PGF tournament, came in second place the PGF tournament prior and are ranked #1 nationally (points) in Usssa.

We have turned a lot of heads as of late but we're a team no one has ever heard of. We're not the batbusters, bandits, glory... whatever.

I honestly believe that her coach is the best softball coach around. I feel leaving this team would be a step back in her development, but going to a "national" team would get her in front of more college coaches. At 13u (going into 14u) we have no plans on leaving this team.

Am I doing my DD a disservice if we don't change in 16u or would just showing up to the college's camps she wants to play for be enough to get her noticed?
She wants to play D1 and I believe that she's got the ability and drive as a pitcher to get there.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
A team kicking booty will get noticed. Think I would tend to stay with amazing.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
National teams are a hoax. If they were so great national team's would supply every college with every softball player. That's far from the truth. It's just something cute for players and parents to say at gatherings.

I have been very blessed to have both of my girls highly recruited. They have never played on a national team. Never wanted to. They were found with little or no marketing. Coaches and athletic directors are searching high and low for excellent athletes, teammates, and students. The best advice I can give is make sure that your girl keeps incredible grades and participates in community projects.

Honestly when the smoke clears being a collegiate athlete it's not all it's cracked up to be. So many bail within the first couple of years because of academic requirements
There can be a distinction between recruitment level and goals.
And academic scholarships or
athletic $$$$$.
Includes what playing schedule may showcase to what goal.

The verbage nationals team....
is like saying 'gold'

As for teams that play 'top tier'
There is truely a top level of softball that not everyone reaches.
Those teams have schedules to travel to play eachother because of the competition level.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
Here is what I have seen or would say.

- You typically would play higher level competition and see where your DD stands
- They typically have more connections to Power 5 colleges, know what they are looking for or what they are teaching, etc.
- Coaches that I have seen are very knowledge
- It will probably be more $ and travel
- You CAN still get recruited from more regional/local teams
- Stars that I've seen on the "smaller" teams seem to move to the larger/national team or org.

As RADcatcher asks, what level your DD wants to play comes into question as well. Trying to play at a top 20 program and being from a smaller, local/regional team would be more difficult.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I'm a pretty simple guy. I like to focus on 2 primary legs: Competition (includes coaching ability and level of play) and joy. Our kids have played on fun teams that didn't compete. The teams either didn't have the ability, desire to excel, or played way below their ability. They've also played on very competitive teams that were no fun at all. Seems to me if you have both legs, ride that out as long they both exist.

Sep 17, 2009
We did this with my younger daughter's team, coached them from B team to PGF Nationals. Kids had a great experience, I think our coaches were excellent and helped kids improve and the team got attention from and entry into most of the top tournaments (though not the VERY top, ie IDT, etc). Our kids that wanted to play in college all did, mostly D3 and a couple D2. We had at least three kids that probably could have played fairly high-level D1 if they went to a 'bigger name' travel team (two ended up being D3 All Americans at very good academic schools). Most of the D3 kids got money. Lesson learned: if you want to go D1, being on a name team can help but you still need to be a stud. But going the route you describe can be very rewarding as well.

I'd say as a first step ask your coach if the team can move up a competition level, away from USSSA and purely into PGF/ASA Gold-level competition, including national travel. The first thing you learn may be that other families on the team don't want to do that. Second is the team may not be able to compete. That could impact YOUR decision. If both those things work out, however, and the coach can also help with recruiting, you might have a good thing worth hanging on to.

Finally, and I don't know where you live, if your team and coach are that good some 'name' programs will let you move the whole squad over under their program. Potentially best of both worlds.

Let us know how it turns out.

[Just re-read your post and she's a pitcher. OK. Have her pitch against the best and she'll get noticed and recruited at whatever level her skills attract.]

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Am I doing my DD a disservice if we don't change in 16u

IMO, yes.

DD was on a no-name local team that was very good through 12U. For 14U she went to a better team and organization known for recruiting and to play at a higher level. She starts 16U and we've switched to a name brand team after receiving multiple offers to play for other teams. Switched for multiple reasons, including coaches that can relate to her. Her new coach played her same position at a D1 school so her coach knows what it takes and how to get there. The new org should also have good college recruiting. We shall see how it goes. But we want to giver her the best chance at playing where she wants.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Can your team change to a name org? I mean y'all are #1. I'm sure some of the top orgs would love to have your girls wearing their jerseys.

But I'm a 10U coach so I really don't know how it works at your level and age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi