What makes a great tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Now that tournament season is in full swing, we're wondering what you think makes a good one? Is it the number of games? Is it the quality of the competition? The quality of the fields/facilities/umpires? Sure, in an ideal world all of that would be great and more.

But since most of us live in the real world, not all of those elements will be present. What we want to know is which of those things are critical, v. those that are nice to have but you can live without if the other stuff is present?

This is not the area to discuss your experience at a particular tournament. That's another discussion forum below. Please keep your thoughts to the bigger picture.

Dec 28, 2008
#1 to me is safety for the players and the FANS. Fields don't have to be in great shape, don't need "groomed" every game, but they can't have huge holes, huge puddles etc that can limit careers. I love the parks with nets covering the fans so that they can actually enjoy their daughters games without concerns for their lives or their small children's lives. I hate hearing "heads up" .... "waaaaaaaaa" and seeing someone small child laying on the ground screaming.

After than them I'm all about a consistent level of competition. Can't stand to watch 10+ runs scored in the first inning because 1 team or the other shouldn't have been in that tournament.

Right after that is the quality of the concession stands. Kind of half kidding on this one. I just do instruction, no coaching. So I go from field to field to see all of my girls play and I love tournaments where the folks hosting are actually hosts and have interesting, high quality food. Can't stand going to the places where they have nothing but $2 candy bars and $3 bottles of water because all they want to do is make money. ;)

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
1. Competition
2. Umpires
3. Facilities (Good fields, warm-up areas, restrooms)
4. Game Schedule
5. No Gate Fees

Nice but can live without
6. Family Friendly (play ground, etc.)
7. Vendors (sporting goods, specialty foods, etc.)
8. Close Ample Parking
9. Concessions

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I agree with Dalton on the safety tip, though I don't list it as the number one item. Either the feilds are safe to play on or we are going home.

Quality of competition is number one for me. When we go to a tournament we want to play tough games and put the preasure on our players to perform.

Second. Concessions. Don't hold my players and thier families hostage to your food facist dream of dictatorship. Put out a good selection of quality products at a good price and you will make money. The no outside food and drinks rule during a summer sporting event then charge 3$ for a bottle of water and 5$ for a gatorade? Really? Who cares about heat stroke in the kids as long as you get your fund raising in right? Restricted outside product with resonable prices, good selection and supply, with reasonable prices...we might come back. Depends on your competition for that date next year. Restrict us, gouge us and deprive us...we won't be back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Right on the free water or allowing you to bring your water. Even the U of A offers free water.

Clean restrooms and shade is my next concern.

And I am not sure that the facility can police this, but a lot of cars get broken into, north of me. (No tournament named.) :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Anytime we have gone to the midwest they sell beer at the ballparks. Is this a normal thing? In the southeast, they frown on you for drinking one in the parking lot.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
My tops:

1) strong competition (or evenly matched )
2) good umpires
3) good fields, clean facilities, good field maintenace between games (or at least some!)
4) good food
5) low priced water/powerade for players, allow team ice chests

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
GD,

I've never seen beer for sale at any of the tournaments I've been to in IL or IN. As far as parking lot boozin...er carbo loading, yeah yeah that's the ticket. It depends on the venue. In IL it would be illegal to consume or posses alcohol on school or park district property. So clearly that never happens. :rolleyes: Now if the parking lot is public property or private property you are on with permission. Pop the top.

Where in the Midwest are the softball fields with the liquer licenses and why haven't my teams signed up for those tournies?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Where in the Midwest are the softball fields with the liquer licenses and why haven't my teams signed up for those tournies?

2 years ago at the USFA Nationals, St Louis. Few years ago outside Dallas ( suburb ). My wife is at the Triple Crown now in OK City. First thing she said is," honey they sell beer at DD's tourney ".

The first two had a sign saying coaches can not consume alcohol in the dugouts. I don't know about TC.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd