What makes a great tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
A Great Tournament

1. Did the team have fun ? Playing well (not necessarily winning) and having fun go together.
2. TD's and other staff who are helpful and and take the extra step to make sure your team (who is spending money on their fundraiser) has a good expereince and would want to return.
3. Resonaable parents/adults/coaches. In a game yesterday, the opposistion parents were almost ejected from the facility for giving the umpires a difficult time in our 1st game of the day. I'm keeping track this season of the organizations who exhibit this type of activity so DD can rule these organizations out as places not to play/try-out for in the future.
4. Cut the grass in the outfield prior to the event. US Open rough in the outfield is no fun for anyone.
5. Fairly priced concession stands.
6. No gate fees. We already paid for the privilage of playing and are spending money at the concession stands.
7. Impartial umpires. They don't have to be good, just impartial. Our coach instructs our kids "Win the game on the field; never expect a close call to go your way as you'll be disappointed".
8. Bring the camera to capture the "Web Gem Moment".. Even on a"4 and done weekend" there will be a memorable moment to capture.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
Little things that you don't really think about until you get to the tournament.
1. The safety netting between fields for the spectators.
2. Sufficient room to warm up between games.
3. Close, clean bathrooms
4. Good communications from tournament coordinators, including posted field numbers, pool results and brackets.
5. Efficient game scheduling...i.e. one game / day for four days stinks and so does the first two games in the morning and then no game until the next day. Or worse yet is playing the last late game of the night and then the first early morning game on the next day unless the next day is championship Sunday.
6. Some field maintenance between games. We played in an ASA qualifier last year where they didn't touch the fields all day. We won't go back to that one.
7. Decent parking that's not a 20 minute walk to the field, that makes you wish you had one of those four wheel garden carts to pull all your equipment.
8. Photo and video friendly fields.

Ken FYI...I distinctly remember beer sales at Joliet Memorial in '07 for the USSSA Heritage Classic. I don't know if they still have that one though, now that I'm up in WI. However, there are several tournaments in Wisconsin with beer sales including the NSA State tournament in Middleton.

Jan 15, 2009
Ken FYI...I distinctly remember beer sales at Joliet Memorial in '07 for the USSSA Heritage Classic. I don't know if they still have that one though, now that I'm up in WI. However, there are several tournaments in Wisconsin with beer sales including the NSA State tournament in Middleton.

IME they will sell beer at kindergarten graduation ceremonies in WI. So yes you will see beer sold at youth sporting events in WI.

Oct 19, 2009
Number one thing to make a great tournament (after yet another washout) SUNSHINE!

I know that in Montana when I played slow pitch they always sold beer at the concession stands. I don't recall it ever being a problem other than a third baseman in a game took a shot right in the nose and never got a glove on it. I always wondered how many he'd had that day.

Never seen it (nor suggest it) at youth games however.

May 5, 2008
To add to this thread - aside from these "common" issues that have been mentioned: great competition/facilities/organization/umpiring, is there anything else a tournament can offer to entice you to choose it over another tournament option??? Something that can really make it stand out from others you may be considering?

May 8, 2009
Florida
Ken, Seen beer sold at Sportscore in Rockford, though in all fairness I think they had mens fastpitch going at the same time.
1 No gate fees, families pay enough in traveling, buy consessions, etc. Dont make them pay to watch their daughter play.
2 Good umpires. No reason not to have good officiating.
3.Good competition though for most tournaments here you have a decent idea who you will see. Managers just need to do their homework.
4. Family facilities. i like the playground in the middle of the four diamonds, but why in the world dont they put a cover on them. Every pop up over the backstop goes that way.

Sep 17, 2009
Ken, they sell beer from the concessions stand at the main fastpitch field complex in Joliet IL, Inwood Park, big place, 8 or 10 fields. Surprised the heck out of me. South siders ; >

All the teams my older DD ever played on or I coached, we never had parents drinking (OK, occasionally, certainly not the red cup brigade).

For my younger daughter, we had an parent incident a few weeks ago. We lost an ugly game and tensions were high, it was hot and a long day and things got said in front of the girls. Disappointing, but you try to learn from it.

Feb 9, 2009
To add to this thread - aside from these "common" issues that have been mentioned: great competition/facilities/organization/umpiring, is there anything else a tournament can offer to entice you to choose it over another tournament option??? Something that can really make it stand out from others you may be considering?

Give away a flat screen tv to one of the coaches in attendance.:cool:

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Snocatz,
Is that a slam on the sconies???? I live in the land of Green and Gold (Just barely) in Superior WI and have been to many a tournament and have never seen beer sales (A few out of the trunk of the car after a long day maybe). We were at the Forest Lake tourney this past weekend and I thought I might see one of the SnoCatz teams. Must have been at another tournament.

I'm late to the discussion but here goes:
the Boss (also know as Mom & Sweetheart) wants enough clean restrooms and for our own cooler ad food.
DD says any tourny that she doesn't have to leave after 1 game on Sunday morning is good.
The Finance Officer (me) Why must every tree within 10 miles be cut down. Give me some shade. If you charge admission then let me bring in my cooler and food. If you don't we'll leave and eat somewhere else. Take care of the fields. If you are lacking in teams don't limit the games on the first day just so you can charge me to get in the next. We'll gladly pay you the total just let us play and go home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG