Tournament Schedule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
We have a tournament starting Friday (our 5th year) and I have a coach asking to have his spot in the schedule changed or he will have to forfeit a game,. His team got a not-good schedule on Saturday where they will be playing at 8, 12 and 4. I understand his dissatisfaction, but I'm wondering is this uncommon to have a team from each pool playing those times? we have a small tournament-2 age divisions, 8 teams in each playing on 4 fields.
we don't have enough lighted fields to play more than 1 game (each pool) on friday night.
what are your thoughts for future plans?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Here is our Saturday pool schedules for the last 7 tourney's we played:
11, 1, 5
11:30, 4, 5:30
11, 3, 5
11, 3, 4:45
9:30, 12:30, 3:30
9:30, 2, 3:30
9:45, 1:15, 4:45

Pretty lucky on the later start times. And while 8, 12, 4 isn't ideal, it's not unheard of (see: 9:45,1:15,4:45 above)

Sep 7, 2020
We typically cannot play Friday nights if the game starts before 7. There are few fields that can accommodate starts after 6 so we end up with a crap Saturday schedule. Last three were 9:45/12:15/4:45, 8/10/4 and 9/11/3.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That schedule sucks. One game break is acceptable. I would check the schedules and if another team has back to back to back, I am going to pitch a bitch. 16 teams on 4 fields/ 2 divisions? I think it can be scheduled better.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We have a tournament starting Friday (our 5th year) and I have a coach asking to have his spot in the schedule changed or he will have to forfeit a game,. His team got a not-good schedule on Saturday where they will be playing at 8, 12 and 4. I understand his dissatisfaction, but I'm wondering is this uncommon to have a team from each pool playing those times? we have a small tournament-2 age divisions, 8 teams in each playing on 4 fields.
we don't have enough lighted fields to play more than 1 game (each pool) on friday night.
what are your thoughts for future plans?
Can't please all of the people all of the time.
Easily could be people who didn't want to have to show up on a Friday just to play one game. Not certain where the tournament is but here in California battling traffic for just that one game cud pizz' off some people. 🤷‍♀️

Sep 28, 2020
NJ
One game break with two back to back is pretty typical from what I’ve seen over the years. Sometimes we’ve ended up with a break between each game. I can think of only a few occasions when we were handed a two game break but that was probably after back to back games. I wouldn’t be thrilled with that schedule. At the same time I’ve scheduled a few and it can be a PITA lol. I would try to make a swap to move their first game back or last game up if possible.

Jun 11, 2012
What’s his reasoning for potentially forfeiting a game? If it’s nothing more than he doesn’t like the schedule I wouldn’t budge but if he has a legitimate reason I’d try to work with him

Feb 8, 2019
Thanks for the responses. im not changing anything this time, it just made me think about coming up with a better solution for next time. This is a fundraiser for our charitable organization, so no one is getting paid and no one owes us any time commitment to work the tournament. I havent seriously looked into it, but Im thinking that we would need to at least add a game friday afternoon or maybe increase the total number of games played- all of which increases the need for volunteers that we dont have.
anyhow, thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles