What does she need to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe this is an area where you and I deviate on our understanding of the swing. I think the hands/wrists are definitely involved with turning the barrel to contact.

The hands/wrists are certainly involved in a good swing ... but their role is much different than that of "turning the barrel".

May 3, 2014
Much closer … there will be structure developed along the forearms, and coupled with the core’s action, the barrel is ‘turned’.

Ha - no that answer is pretty much spot on. Believe me, I lived the barrel gets turned stuff. Your forearms turn it and turn it assertively. Make no mistake about that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ha - no that answer is pretty much spot on. Believe me, I lived the barrel gets turned stuff. Your forearms turn it and turn it assertively. Make no mistake about that.

Well, truth be told, you are miles ahead of EricF on this topic … yet the forearms are not the entire story in terms of how the barrel is ‘turned’.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Forearm rotation is both supination of the rear forearm and pronation of the lead forearm. And this is an extremely important element.
tumblr_oo299xpu9k1usf292o1_400.gif

Lateral tilt of the torso.
Adduction of the rear elbow.
Abduction of the lead elbow.
Supination of the rear forearm.
Pronation of the lead forearm.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Help me out here Rdbass .....

How does this hitter follow her instructor's instruction to avoid the lead shoulder going up with "lateral tilt of the torso"?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Ok her swing is a work in progress this was taken during her fourth lesson.
tumblr_oqj4p1wcgE1usf292o1_250.gif

Don't take a 5th lesson from this instructor.
follow her instructor's instruction to avoid the lead shoulder going up
If you want/like a level to the ball swing. Which is wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As long as the kid is being instructed to avoid lateral tilt, lead shoulder elevation and/or rear shoulder lowering … the kid will be restricted from following the proper path. You would be hard pressed to find worse instruction.

Find the nearest exit and run, don’t walk, but run to the nearest exit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1