What does she need to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
The acceleration of the bat is rearward. You swing down behind you. The snap is behind you. Learn to do that by releasing it behind you.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The acceleration of the bat is rearward. You swing down behind you. The snap is behind you. Learn to do that by releasing it behind you.

OK, I guess I was wrong on the intent of the throwing the bat drill.
I understand
The acceleration of the bat is rearward. You swing down behind you. The snap is behind you.
tumblr_oql765bWcz1usf292o1_400.gif

And I agree but, we are talking about the 'throwing the bat drill'
So, you are saying Cabrera 'released' the bat here:

But if Cabrera was doing the 'throw the bat drill/hit a ball. He would do this and relaease the bat here:

Or would he do this.:
tumblr_oql6jqYg7Y1usf292o1_400.gif

As what I thought was the purpose of the 'throw the bat' drill/hit the ball. I'm thinking what you are describing as a drill sounds like the 'uptuck drill' but, of course I've been wrong once already.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO (which is often wrong), it depends on the hitter's issues. For those who pull their hands around their torso and/or struggle with good extension, rather than whip out from the rear shoulder, throwing the bat out to the outfield can be a beneficial drill.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Throwing the bat straight down at the catcher. Would not advise with an actual catcher there.

LOL. I'd never advocate potentially harming a catcher! Not certain, but I think what you're talking about (i.e. what happens after max forward tip) I would consider turning the barrel, which should happen every pitch regardless of swing/checked swing decision.

IMO, the bat throwing drill helps hitters understand that the swing launch should be explosive/violent, have a directional component, and is most efficient and effective when the hands/wrists and grip are loose - which was a key that FFS touched on in the post I quoted.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

One is throwing into and through impact .... and if one wishes to maximize energy transfer, there is a release taking place associated with this throw.

More important ... the top hand works down from an 'upright vee' to impact .... it is through the 'upright vee' that effort level in the swing is at a peak .... and it is the 'vee' orientation that provides 'support'.

While the lead arm is largely responsible for putting the bat 'on plane' with the oncoming pitched ball, it is the throwing action relative the right hand that has the barrel 'squaring' at impact ... and it is the 'direction' of that throw that has one swing covering all portions of the zone. One need not learn 15 different swings for 15 different pitch locations ... one swing will work on all pitch locations .... simply learn what it means to 'throw with direction'.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
OK, I guess I was wrong on the intent of the throwing the bat drill.
I understand

And I agree but, we are talking about the 'throwing the bat drill'
So, you are saying Cabrera 'released' the bat here:

But if Cabrera was doing the 'throw the bat drill/hit a ball. He would do this and relaease the bat here:

Or would he do this.:
tumblr_oql6jqYg7Y1usf292o1_400.gif

As what I thought was the purpose of the 'throw the bat' drill/hit the ball. I'm thinking what you are describing as a drill sounds like the 'uptuck drill' but, of course I've been wrong once already.

The acceleration that is important is the unhinging of the top hand/wrist into and through impact. Let the hands/wrists become whipped.

That isn't to say that early bat speed, or the early arcing of the barrel is unimportant, ... but that the whip that you wish to feel relative to the 'hands' is that which is taking place into and through impact.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Almost sounds like a modified version of Swingbuilder's whip drill....

https://youtu.be/y7I6WMXnUPM

Bat throwing has been around for a while. The initial direction with acceleration is what needs to be learned. Even from a neck slot position the bat should be thrown in the catchers direction to feel that quick snap and direction from the forearms. This removes the need to take the hands forward.

For those advocating throwing the barrel forward - the swing is over by then.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Bat throwing has been around for a while. The initial direction with acceleration is what needs to be learned. Even from a neck slot position the bat should be thrown in the catchers direction to feel that quick snap and direction from the forearms. This removes the need to take the hands forward.

For those advocating throwing the barrel forward - the swing is over by then.

Butter- I do agree that the swing is over well before contact. Can you discuss where you think full launch/checked swing fits into the sequence?

May 3, 2014
For me I think you can reasonably check a swing anywhere before the barrel reaches parallel with the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30