What does she need to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I want to thank everyone of you for your comments. I think what we have to do first is find another instructor after thinking about some things I'm concerned this is just a money grab as the lessons are not cheap. I would love to work do all the work myself but one I'm already confused just reading this thread so I'm not sure how much help I can be and second she seems to do better with an outside authority. What I have to committ myself to do is to not be as trusting of the next instructor and be prepared to understand and able to help reinforce what is being taught.

First thing I would do, as mentioned a number of times, is get her to lower her hands to start. Then focus on having her turn the barrel from near her shoulder and not drop her hands so much. As mentioned high tee work will help with that. Once she gets that down you can fine tune other things. My formerly 6 year old DD, now 7, used to drop her hands a bunch. A lot of high tee work helped to get rid of that and now I can focus on other things.

Jun 8, 2016
Really? Hmmm...Okay. What turns the barrel to the ball if not the hands?

I am going to guess he is going to say an upper body resistance to the lower body? The hands are still involved in the process but perhaps only as a guiding mechanism
to adjust to pitch location?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Really? Hmmm...Okay. What turns the barrel to the ball if not the hands?

A fun experiment is to grab a bat, get some good pull back and use your back to swing. Totally take your arms/hands out of the equation. Just a soft focus on the ball and let it rip. For me the first thing to happen when powering the swing with my back is my front shoulder comes up about an inch and then the bat whips through the zone with an audible increase in bat speed. Bat path dramatically improves with a slight upward tilt into contact. Lead elbow is at the height of the mouth at contact with a nice high finish at extension. Give it a shot. Just an experiment.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I've become a big fan, especially with beginners, of using a heavy bag with stop swings. It's not a about hitting the heavy bag hard or "developing strong wrists" but learning how to turn the barrel or "slam the V" while keeping the hands near the shoulders. The bag makes it easier to focus on mechanics since there's no ball to hit or result to worry about. They can work on learning how their body should be moving. No need to DBSF if they aren't aligning themselves to a ball. Burn in the feel with heavy bag swings to different contact spots. Move that to the tee and then close soft-toss without breaking down mechancis. That's a good way to start I've found with many young hitters.

I agree, heavy bag and stop swings are a good place to start with any hitter.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How do you figure the top hand/wrist becomes 'bent' if that is what is turning the barrel from launch?

I'm looking forward to this description.

I haven't really thought much about the top hand wrist getting bent.

I see the barrel pivoting around the hands...
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/...9-B724-4514-AAA3-7ED2480EF066_zpsiubm4mta.gif
The hands being the center point of the bat's rotation is a concept that many (maybe most) young hitters don't tend to understand without instruction.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No problem EricF, reflect for a moment on how the top hand becomes bent and tell me how your swing model accommodates that happening with the hands turning the barrel.

p.s.
FYI ... the barrel becoming rotated around the hands/wrists does does not mean that the hands/wrists are turning the barrel.

May 3, 2014
Your forearms are doing it. Pronate the bottom forearm and your top hand wrist gets bents as the rear forearm supinates.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No problem EricF, reflect for a moment on how the top hand becomes bent and tell me how your swing model accommodates that happening with the hands turning the barrel.

p.s.
FYI ... the barrel becoming rotated around the hands/wrists does does not mean that the hands/wrists are turning the barrel.

I believe this is an area where you and I deviate on our understanding of the swing. I think the hands/wrists are definitely involved with turning the barrel to contact.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06