What do you see?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I hope to post more video as we go along in this. I have my plan of attack ready to go. Time to see if I can put what I know (and what I have learned from this site) to use and teach effectively. I posted this thread to basically get some extra eyes on the swings so that the girls (and I) can be evaluated for progress as we go through this. I am actually pretty excited about the challenge.

R

RayR

Well, that is why I pointed out the hip bump that Sean Casey uses....sequence can be learned on one knee....lateral tilt from the hip bump to create space for the hands to work...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
UGH !! This is my DD. Dont know what to say. Had a really good Summer. Had lower back injury in August. Swing went all to hell.(Dont know where this current swing came from) Terrible Fall. These were her first swings since early October. Lots of work to do

This is bat drag ... plane and simple.

IMO she's using her back in a more stressful manner here than she would if she used a proper swing sequence. I don't buy the line that her swing was better earlier and suddenly went down hill. I do believe she was performing better, and is performing worse now. Look at the swings of her teammates ... she has likely been playing low-level B-level type-ball where a mechanic like this will be effective. One of the issues with a 'bat drag' based swing is that it is a swing that does not scale ... and as the girls get older the swing fails against better pitching. I believe the swing has always been poor ... she simply looks to be without a clue of how to initiate her swing properly.

The reason I took control of the "schedule" of the team that I took on, was because the highly beefed-up schedule forced the girls to only see strong pitching. I never again wanted the team to face a B-level pitcher. It was my way of removing the false feed-back that their horrible swings were receiving. The poor swings we see here can be successful against weak pitching. Beefing up the schedule was my way of removing excuses from players, parents and coaches .... it was my way of putting everyone on the same page to tackle what I wanted tackled ... and advancing the girls so that they would become A-level players.

Last edited:
R

RayR

all one frame before forward movement of hands

cychitters.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well, that is why I pointed out the hip bump that Sean Casey uses....sequence can be learned on one knee....lateral tilt from the hip bump to create space for the hands to work...

Yes ... I agree. I believe that "hip bump" is what is leading to his "lateral tilt" and initiation of his swing. I also believe that it has been embedded into his swing. That is ... he understands that the hip is coiled not for the purpose of uncoiling the hip ... his body understands that it does not unload in the manner that it loads ... he understands that the coil is 'around', but the uncoil of the rear leg is 'over' ... and it is that 'over' that is his hip bump.

R

RayR

I think you have hit the nail on the head wrt the way most of these hitters start their swing whether they try and load/coil or not....I would say any girl that has been exposed to "hitting advice" has learned to "rotate" and doesn't understand how to unload the swing without spinning either their hips, rear foot, rear leg, shoulders or all of them...

Yes ... I agree. I believe that "hip bump" is what is leading to his "lateral tilt" and initiation of his swing. I also believe that it has been embedded into his swing. That is ... he understands that the hip is coiled not for the purpose of uncoiling the hip ... his body understands that it does not unload in the manner that it loads ... he understands that the coil is 'around', but the uncoil of the rear leg is 'over' ... and it is that 'over' that is his hip bump.

Jan 24, 2011
What is your overall plan?

Overall plan is to start with these girls from square one and build their swings from the ground up. Take our time , do things right , and make them more self aware of their swings. We are going to do this as a group in the beginning since there isnt once single one of them that is way more advanced right now than the others. This way , we are all on the same page and have a base to work from