What do you see?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
If you would like to start another thread sometime on explaining this "hip bump", maybe I would learn something new. I do see it in the fp gifs you posted, but imo they were all less than high level swings, good hitters yes, but not elite swings. If they are the model you like to use, fine, I can live with that.

"Create space for the hands to work". I have to say this makes no sense to me. When I swing, my hands stay close to my back shoulder (at go), my elbow slots, side lat area scrunches, shoulders tilt, all to the level of the pitch. My hands stay in front of my shoulder (in front as shoulders rotate, not "in front" as in closer to my pec), turn the barrel and fire to the ball.
My shoulder laterally tilt independent of what my hips do, and...well...I just don't understand the idea of my hands not having room.

Not trying to get in a pee match, but will admit check mate if you can show me this in a high level swing. AND it very well could be just your words for forward by coil. If you do want to discuss, please show vid not stills, I (or rdb, ffs,noon, etc) can help show vid. Turn me on to the idea, and I will help prove your point. Right now, I just don't see it in a high level swing. If you don't want to get into it, that is fine I promise to leave it alone.

Once again... I am not trying to get into a match...yes I do think some people post crap on here that ultimately leads people the wrong way, and yes I sometimes show vid proof they are wrong (to which they say "just because you see it happen, doesn't mean it is happening"). I like a lot of what you say, but this, I (at this point) don't like so much.

Sorry to distract from this thread (I probably should have pm'ed you, my bad).

Thanks!

Yes , I would prefer that if any of you guys have debates about drills , etc. to please PM each other or start another thread. I would like to keep this thread as simple and easy to follow as possible (Just for my own sanity).

R

RayR

Cleared out to start new thread....sorry Cyclone....

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Is this what is considered the matrix drill in slo mo?

Rbass is right. It is the sequence in slow-motion. This demo is close.
I made this because Hitter posted in older threads how to get balanced. I see some of the girls on here that were doing it, where bending at the waist then straightening back up when bending at the knees and squating

They did not maintain the bend/tilt.

Casey is going to be back from college in around 2 weeks. Will make a current video of the matrix drill when she gets home.

SL

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I made this because Hitter posted in older threads how to get balanced. I see some of the girls on here that were doing it, where bending at the waist then straightening back up when bending at the knees and squating

Casey is going to be back from college in around 2 weeks. Will make a current video of the matrix drill when she gets home.

SL
eqavx4.gif

Here is an example of my DD doing it incorrectly. My misunderstanding before SL posted his DD's video.

Jan 25, 2011

SL

I ask this because I have a lot of respect for your batting advice. My dd use to do the squat,bend at the knees and waist set up. She herself found it to be really uncomfortable, she now looks like Pujols in her set up, I would think that would be worse, but she likes how it feels and she really has been destroying the ball in the cage off of live pitching. My question is what do you find the advantage is for doing a set up like Casey's? Also what would you find to be a disadvantage in my dd using a set up like Pujols?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

SL

I would really appreciate a nice representation of the matrix drill. Thank you SL. Also, thanks for clarifying that the hips stay bent after the knees bend. Tried it with DD this morning and I can see it gives her a great opportunity to rotate and get the bat through on a better angle.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I ask this because I have a lot of respect for your batting advice. My dd use to do the squat,bend at the knees and waist set up. She herself found it to be really uncomfortable, she now looks like Pujols in her set up, I would think that would be worse, but she likes how it feels and she really has been destroying the ball in the cage off of live pitching. My question is what do you find the advantage is for doing a set up like Casey's? Also what would you find to be a disadvantage in my dd using a set up like Pujols?

The whole point is not to squat, like your sitting on a bench.

I can get the same results if I tell the hitter to stick their rear end out, then just soften knees.
They end up with a set-up with tilt.

SL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut