What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess this is a stupid person, but I'm not very smart anyway, :)

I'm a left handed hitter, but right handed and right side dominant. I find that I can generate more power and my swing is more fluid by using my front side more to pull my swing. I know it more complicated than that, and rear side is involved as well. But I find my front side aids in pulling more. Would this be different for a right handed hitter who is right handed and right side dominant?

I don't think anyone is stating that the front leg is not used. Although there are some that try to twist things to fit their own agendas. That said, I'm not completely sure what you are talking about regarding "front side pulling"...

May 12, 2016
I don't think anyone is stating that the front leg is not used. Although there are some that try to twist things to fit their own agendas. That said, I'm not completely sure what you are talking about regarding "front side pulling"...
I know no one is saying that.. this is for my own understanding.

Do you bat from the right or left side of the plate? And are you right or left side dominant?

I'm just saying I feel that I engage the front side much more as a lefty who is right side dominant. In my situation I can't imagine nor do I think it would be efficient for my rear side to be the main driver.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

FP26, who are the some your referring to ? What's the agenda ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know no one is saying that.. this is for my own understanding.

Do you bat from the right or left side of the plate? And are you right or left side dominant?

I'm just saying I feel that I engage the front side much more as a lefty who is right side dominant. In my situation I can't imagine nor do I think it would be efficient for my rear side to be the main driver.

I am right side dominant. Growing up I batted from both sides, although I preferred lefty. Now I am exclusively righty.

May 12, 2016
I am right side dominant. Growing up I batted from both sides, although I preferred lefty. Now I am exclusively righty.
Perfect you were a switch hitter. So you should be able to answer my question since you experienced your dominant side at the rear and front

Jun 8, 2016
I guess this is a stupid person, but I'm not very smart anyway, :)

I'm a left handed hitter, but right handed and right side dominant. I find that I can generate more power and my swing is more fluid by using my front side more to pull my swing. I know it more complicated than that, and rear side is involved as well. But I find my front side aids in pulling more. Would this be different for a right handed hitter who is right handed and right side dominant?
I would tend to believe that if "dominant sidedness" had an effect on the most efficient hitting mechanics then you would see significant differences in the hitting mechanics at the MLB level when comparing HL L/L (throwing/hitting) and R/L players. I don't think this is the case.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Perfect you were a switch hitter. So you should be able to answer my question since you experienced your dominant side at the rear and front

If I understood your question, I would try... I don't know what you mean by front side pulling. That isn't something I ever felt.

Jul 30, 2018
The rear leg gets drawn up into the torso. It doesn't even get to full extension. It is effectively unloaded. Saying it is the driver of the swing is like saying a high jumper gets his power from the leg he lifts into the air.
The front leg is the driver and the power leg. The rear leg and forward momentum it generates only serve to load the front leg. It is the slow mover. You can't hit with power off your back leg and there are many videos available that show the trail leg off the ground at contact. Try hitting off only the rear leg and then off only the front leg. Try throwing off a rear and then front leg. You're focusing on the wrong leg!

I'm probably going to ignore you for all times.

This is SO bad I can't even begin to tell you HOW BAD this is.

Please don't teach hitting!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can't speak for tennis, golf, or baseball (lol), but in hockey all the force, torque and weight is around and over the front leg in a slap shot. Good slap shot form, the rear leg isn't on the ice when the stick makes contact with the ice a couple of inches behind the puck. The players weight continues over the front hip/knee/skate as they really lean into it driving the blade of the stick into the ice, causing it to flex and release into the puck.

I all happens around/over the front hip/skate

View attachment 14616

View attachment 14617

You must not play hockey then..........
AgreeableWhisperedCrossbill-small.gif

I'm talking rear leg is THE DRIVER.......not WEIGHT.......And the weight shifts to the front side during the slap shot....not before the slap shot.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi