What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
If I understood your question, I would try... I don't know what you mean by front side pulling. That isn't something I ever felt.
Plain and simple, I find that my front side oblique, hip, glute etc doing most of the work or engaged more. I'm not saying my rear side doesn't do anything, I just find my strong side working harder and my strong side is the front side.

May 12, 2016
You must not play hockey then..........
AgreeableWhisperedCrossbill-small.gif

I'm talking rear leg is THE DRIVER.......not WEIGHT.......And the weight shifts to the front side during the slap shot....not before the slap shot.
Don't play anymore, use to play at a high level and I had a very good slap shot. Sorry don't get a chance to toot my own horn on here :). Rear plays a part for sure, torque occurs around the front skate, leg, hip. Of course the weight shifts during the shot.. Back foot becomes weightless well be contact with the ice.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Plain and simple, I find that my front side oblique, hip, glute etc doing most of the work or engaged more. I'm not saying my rear side doesn't do anything, I just find my strong side working harder and my strong side is the front side.

Okay. Can't say I agree with that. But it has been so long since I batted lefty... When I was a kid I didn't even know what an oblique was... When I swing now, I feel my entire core is involved. But there is a definite feeling of power from my rear leg.

May 12, 2016
Okay. Can't say I agree with that. But it has been so long since I batted lefty... When I was a kid I didn't even know what an oblique was... When I swing now, I feel my entire core is involved. But there is a definite feeling of power from my rear leg.
LOL, neither did I

It's too bad you can't remember. To me it seems like a hitter like Mookie Betts uses his front side a little more.. However that doesn't really support my theory since I assume he's right side dominant who also bats right. Just wondering if most leftys who are right side dominant tend to use their front side more to power the swing

Aug 20, 2017
When I play golf my obliques are more sore than any part of my body

Jul 29, 2013
flop.gif

Yeah...OK.....High jumper LAUNCHES with the rear leg.
weia157.jpg
Jumper 1 on left leg under her body. Jumper 2 loading into front leg. Jumper 3 extends that loaded leg converting energy from run into vertical motion. The leg in the air doesn't apply force it's been off the ground since jumper 2.

Jul 29, 2013
Contact and launch are two different things. By the time contact occurs, most of the energy has already been used.
Obviously launch and contact are 2 different things. Duh.
You can't powerfully launch until front leg makes solid ground contact. Manny clearly has his front leg planted before he launches his swing. He's transferring the weight into that front leg. Best way to transfer the weight/ energy is to unweight/lift the rear leg. Because the legs work in tandem, most folks see the rear leg as the driver but it is becoming unloaded to transfer the energy into the front leg. Psychologically, if you focus on lifting the unweighted leg, which is able to be moved more quickly, you simultaneously, quickly and powerfully, load the front leg.
If the energy has been used prior to contact, what energy gets transferred to the ball?

Jul 29, 2013
I know a 2 legged golfer would hit further than a 1 legged golfer. But, that is what you asked now is it.

No he doesn't:
AlMac.gif

Try taking a slap shot and you will see.
The point of the comment was to suggest you try to hit off your back leg while raising your front leg and then try hitting off your front leg while raising your back leg. Both are possible but I think you'll find hitting off the back leg is a weak position and hitting off the front leg actually adds power.

Jul 29, 2013
[And the pQUOTE="rdbass, post: 520072, member: 2269"]
flop.gif

Yeah...OK.....High jumper LAUNCHES with the rear leg.
weia157.jpg

[/QUOTE]
And the planted leg applies the power, not the elevated leg. In a baseball/softball swing the rear leg is elevated to transfer the power into the front leg.
The point is that driving the rear leg forward is actually transferring the power into the front leg. The rear leg movement is unchained and doesn't apply any rotational force other than momentum. The front leg applying offset force on the pelvis is the main driver of the rotational force.

Jul 29, 2013
Second question would be why are we using a clip of Manny (if that is what you meant when you said Miggy) where he is clearly fooled by a pitch? In most clips of good hitters, the front leg straightens after launch, not before.
Correct...Manny Ramirez, not Miggy Cabrera.
Whether the leg reaches full extension prior to contact is debatable.
Point is, the front leg is extending and driving the corresponding hip backwards creating rotation. No hitter hits with any power against a weak front leg nor do they hit off their back leg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA