What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I'm probably going to ignore you for all times.

This is SO bad I can't even begin to tell you HOW BAD this is.

Please don't teach hitting!
10 years ago, everyone taught squish the bug, hands to the ball, and hit down on top of the ball.
In 1491, most thought the world was flat.
Do you rely on conventional wisdom or do you actually see what's happening?
I do teach hitting and my players hit bombs...
120lb 14 year old girl hit a ball 288 ft.
17 year old 145lb girl hit a ball that hit the 300 ft fence beyond the field on the fly. Same girl had the exit speed of a game ball clocked at 100.6 mph.
Had a 15 year old girl who had never come close to hitting the ball past an outfielder, routinely going yard in bp just last year.
Maybe you might try opening your mind to different ideas?
Better yet, please ignore me.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When I play golf my obliques are more sore than any part of my body

At my current age, my abs do get quite sore after doing a few rounds in the cage. When I was a teenager I dont remember ever having sore abs. Not sure, but I think I may have been in better shape them. Lol!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obviously launch and contact are 2 different things. Duh.
You can't powerfully launch until front leg makes solid ground contact. Manny clearly has his front leg planted before he launches his swing. He's transferring the weight into that front leg. Best way to transfer the weight/ energy is to unweight/lift the rear leg. Because the legs work in tandem, most folks see the rear leg as the driver but it is becoming unloaded to transfer the energy into the front leg. Psychologically, if you focus on lifting the unweighted leg, which is able to be moved more quickly, you simultaneously, quickly and powerfully, load the front leg.
If the energy has been used prior to contact, what energy gets transferred to the ball?

I was just going by your quotes. You're the one that seems to be focusing on contact. At least that is what your posts say... By the way, we disagree on when launch occurs. Carry on... Best of luck to you and your players.

May 12, 2016
Depends, I've seen Vlad jr straighten his front leg before and after contact.. for example below is before contact

Jul 29, 2013
but after launch...
My point isn't that his leg is bent or straight at contact. The point is that high level swings launch with the turn of the hips, the hip turn starts when the energy is transferred to the front leg. The momentum created by the back leg/forward move transfers to the front leg. If the front leg is extended and pushes against the forward momentum in an offset relationship, the energy created can be used to create even more torque on the pelvis. The act of extending the leg, creates a more powerful turn.

We've all seen the car insurance institue offset crashes, right? The car speeds ahead and hits a wall only in front of the driver and it turns because the wall stops the drivers side but the passenger side continues a couple feet more because it wasn't stopped. Imagine if the wall could be spring loaded and the forward momentum of the car harnessed and redirected in the other direction....,.the car would spin like an ice skater, eh?
Now imagine that the energy isn't only harnessed by the spring but added to because the spring has a motor and can apply it's own force....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Thought that was obvious to anyone remotely familiar with the game.
Ladies and gents we are in the presence of greatness. The immortal Casey Stengel frequents the board.
Martinez is working on hitting to the opposite field.
Right and in the process trying to ingrain a feel of staying over the ball and not rotating.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12