What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Who'd hit it further?
2lsbpfc.jpg

jq3lt3.jpg

I'd say it is you that is focusing on the wrong leg.
And then you show two one legged golfers, which one hits it further? Rear leg or front leg. And you sure can't be implying that the one legged golfer hits further than a 2 legged golfer. Both of the shown golfers use rotational energy. If they could generate a load into the front leg via a lateral move, they would hit further.

Jul 29, 2013
You are focusing on the EFFFECT .......finish.
11060-a33d5844f70b32dea4ee8c442f0b183a.jpg

And not the CAUSE...........
mannyramirez_000.gif
Where's Miggy's weight just prior to contact? Front or rear leg? The rear leg energy is transfered to the front leg. Evidenced by the bend in the rear leg and the extension of the front leg as he fires the swing. He posts up against the front leg, applying offset force on the pelvis, resulting in rotation.

Jun 8, 2016
Second question would be why are we using a clip of Manny (if that is what you meant when you said Miggy) where he is clearly fooled by a pitch? In most clips of good hitters, the front leg straightens after launch, not before.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
And then you show two one legged golfers, which one hits it further? Rear leg or front leg. And you sure can't be implying that the one legged golfer hits further than a 2 legged golfer. Both of the shown golfers use rotational energy. If they could generate a load into the front leg via a lateral move, they would hit further.
I know a 2 legged golfer would hit further than a 1 legged golfer. But, that is not what you asked now is it.
Here was your question:
Try hitting off only the rear leg and then off only the front leg. Try throwing off a rear and then front leg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I know a 2 legged golfer would hit further than a 1 legged golfer. But, that is what you asked now is it.
Let's start with the jumper. What leg applies the force to elevate the jumper? I say the one in contact with the ground, not the one in the air. And the plant leg is the front leg prior to launch.
Then the hockey player clearly plants his front leg just prior to contact.
Finally the tennis player...does that look like a power stroke to you?
No he doesn't:
AlMac.gif

Try taking a slap shot and you will see.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let's start with the jumper. What leg applies the force to elevate the jumper? I say the one in contact with the ground, not the one in the air. And the plant leg is the front leg prior to launch.
flop.gif

Yeah...OK.....High jumper LAUNCHES with the rear leg.
weia157.jpg

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Where's Miggy's weight just prior to contact? Front or rear leg? The rear leg energy is transfered to the front leg. Evidenced by the bend in the rear leg and the extension of the front leg as he fires the swing. He posts up against the front leg, applying offset force on the pelvis, resulting in rotation.

Contact and launch are two different things. By the time contact occurs, most of the energy has already been used.

May 12, 2016
Can't speak for tennis, golf, or baseball (lol), but in hockey all the force, torque and weight is around and over the front leg in a slap shot. Good slap shot form, the rear leg isn't on the ice when the stick makes contact with the ice a couple of inches behind the puck. The players weight continues over the front hip/knee/skate as they really lean into it driving the blade of the stick into the ice, causing it to flex and release into the puck.

I all happens around/over the front hip/skate

May 12, 2016
I guess this is a stupid person, but I'm not very smart anyway, :)

I'm a left handed hitter, but right handed and right side dominant. I find that I can generate more power and my swing is more fluid by using my front side more to pull my swing. I know it more complicated than that, and rear side is involved as well. But I find my front side aids in pulling more. Would this be different for a right handed hitter who is right handed and right side dominant?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez