What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
How are the femurs supinated and pronated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm mistaken in my terminology. The correct terms are medial and lateral rotation. Supination and pronation happen at the foot and forearm.
Lateral (outward) rotation is created by the bicep femoris, gluteus maximus, piriformis, and they are assisted by the obturators, gemelli and the quadratus femoris.
Medial (inward) rotation is created by the anterior fibers of the gluteus minimus and medius and the tensor fascia latae.

Jul 29, 2013
The knee joints do not appear to be 'extending' in post #31 Granderson. (Of course the front knee straightens/extends after hip slot, which continues/finishes the rotation)

Is the front femur effecting/causing the coil inward? Is the back femur effecting/causing the coil outward?

Good stuff.
I have a great video of the lateral rotation of the trail leg but it's an mp4 and it won't load.

Jul 29, 2013
The front knee turns. This opens the hips. (front and rear) It's optimal to have momentum into the angled front foot (which changes direction).

The proof of the front knee action is when (almost all) kids swing with one foot in the air, they always turn their front knee over. This hip rotation is obviously much, much slower that the leveraged pro hitter in post #31. Even 2 legged people swinging on one leg are turning over their front 'knee'.
I like to teach a stride where the heals are aligned. The pelvis turns and the legs are vertically aligned beneath their respective hip joints at front leg ground contact. This offset allows the extension of the front leg to apply force offset to the center of rotation of the pelvis resulting in the application of torque to the pelvis and spine. This jump starts the rotation of the stretched /loaded torso to bring the shoulders back to alignment with the hips.
Turning over (against) the front knee applies unecessary stress on the knee joint.
Knees don't like to be twisted!

Jul 29, 2013
Hey RD

I do believe that the leg drives.

I do not believe that the leg drives or is caused to be driven by the launch of the barrel rearward. Clearly the leg drives before launch.

What causes the leg to drive.

I believe that a press on the foot in ground causes this. I do not believe that launching rearward causes this. A cause can't be second, it has to be first.

Now I see so many repeating the que or the theory that the leg is the driver.

In your own words , what causes the leg to drive.

Also, do you FEEL that launching causes the leg to drive and the hip to pop?

Do you not see the leg driving before the handle is torqued?

The leg is first but IMO there is no other way to drive the leg than a press in the ground?

I'd like to hear your take on it!

Thanks for the post!
The rear leg gets drawn up into the torso. It doesn't even get to full extension. It is effectively unloaded. Saying it is the driver of the swing is like saying a high jumper gets his power from the leg he lifts into the air.
The front leg is the driver and the power leg. The rear leg and forward momentum it generates only serve to load the front leg. It is the slow mover. You can't hit with power off your back leg and there are many videos available that show the trail leg off the ground at contact. Try hitting off only the rear leg and then off only the front leg. Try throwing off a rear and then front leg. You're focusing on the wrong leg!

Attachments

• gettyimages-515112938-2048x2048.jpg
    gettyimages-515112938-2048x2048.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 14

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Saying it is the driver of the swing is like saying a high jumper gets his power from the leg he lifts into the air. The front leg is the driver and the power leg
The rear leg and forward momentum it generates only serve to load the front leg
You are sooooo lost.....
flop.gif

AlMac.gif

nadal.gif

Jun 8, 2016

We already spoke.

Fair enough. I guess I jumped the gun and was thinking you were speaking of back foot action, which is different for many hitters, but you are probably correct that all hitters do lift their heel some. That said, saying a bone, e.g. the heel, is "storing energy" is probably just as incorrect as saying the knee "stores energy"...which isn't actually what I believe is being stated.

Jul 29, 2013
You are sooooo lost.....
flop.gif

AlMac.gif

nadal.gif
Let's start with the jumper. What leg applies the force to elevate the jumper? I say the one in contact with the ground, not the one in the air. And the plant leg is the front leg prior to launch.
Then the hockey player clearly plants his front leg just prior to contact.
Finally the tennis player...does that look like a power stroke to you?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez