What can I do, anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
A couple of months ago I wrote a thread on here to make sure that I was correct on my interpretations of a rule. My DD pitches (Hillhouse student) and she puts her push off heal up against the pitching rubber and her stride toe noses up to the back of the rubber when taking her pitching position. A few months ago this umpire at one of our tournaments tries to tell me that she cannot start that way and that her foot has to be up on top of the pitching rubber not in front. He said he was not going to call IPs on it in this tournament but that next time he saw her that he would if she did not correct it. Our HC saw that I was fixing to take this on and quickly jumped in stating that if he was not going to worry about it that we would address it later.
Fast forward to this past weekend, We were about to start our 8am game and my DD is warming up in the circle. I notice one of the umpires walking out to talk to my DD. (this umpire has been one of the worst ones we have had and always have problems with her calls because they are so bad on both sides) I walk out to the circle and ask what is wrong and she informs me that she cannot start with her foot in front of the rubber. I politely corrected her by saying that she could because both feet were in contact with the rubber. This is when ump #2 comes and says that she could not start that way. I then recognize him as the same ump from earlier in the summer. He informs me that he has already warned me about this. He then states that she has to push off on the rubber. I explained to them that the two rules about the pitching rubber states that 1, both feet have to be in contact with the rubber at the start of the pitch and #2 that the pitcher has to push off FROM the rubber not ON the rubber. They both said I was wrong and that they would deem it an illegal pitch if she pitched that way.

Here is my question. Neither one would listen to me and that both walked off laughing at me. What can I do as an AC to get them to have to learn the rules and follow them correctly? Other than complaining to the tournament director, is there anything else that regulates umpires when they are forcing players to change their play when it shouldn't happen? Any suggestions?

On a side note, in the semi finals we had two umps that were not calling the Look Back Rule. When questioned, the field ump said that the pitcher had to be on the pitching rubber for that to be in effect. !!!!!!!! Me and another AC almost lost it. The other AC pulled up the rule during the inning on his phone and showed him that it is in the circle not on the rubber. What is up with umpires these days?

Jun 22, 2008
I seem to remember your original post a while back and I'm pretty sure you were told at that time it depended on what rule set you were playing under. Asa is about the only rule set I can think of that does allow the pivot foot to only be in contact and not on top of the pitching plate. Most other rule sets do in fact require a portion of the pivot foot to be on top of the pitching plate. It will depend on whatever the rules of the association you are playing under require.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Thank you for reminding me of that. I went and pulled up that organizations rules and they say absolutely nothing on the location of the push off foot other than both feet have to be in contact with the rubber. I guess if I run into this guy again while at that tournament organizations tournaments I will just have to stop play and get the tournament director involved.

Jul 10, 2013
This come from USSSA
Clarification & Interpretation Topics Version 7
February 2013
page 25
Illegal
Illegal
Pivot foot is in contact but NOT on
top of pitcher’s plate
No part of either foot may be (even
partially) outside 24” length of the
pitcher’s plate.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
ASA - Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

NSA - **NOTE: Such techniques as the "crow hop" and "leap" are illegal.
SECTION 20 CROW HOP
Prior to delivering the pitch, the pitcher replants the pivot foot and pushes off from a spot other than the pitcher's plate.

USSSA - Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

FED - Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal.

PONY - Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

Jun 22, 2008
You need to be looking at the preliminaries section of the rule that discuses foot placement on the pitching plate. The pushing off sections you have listed are not applicable to the discussion about placement of feet prior to the start of delivery.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
You need to be looking at the preliminaries section of the rule that discuses foot placement on the pitching plate. The pushing off sections you have listed are not applicable to the discussion about placement of feet prior to the start of delivery.

If her heel is up against the front of the pp, it is not possible to push off from the plate.

Jun 22, 2008
The asa preliminaries only require the feet to be in contact with the pitching plate to start the pitch and it is considered to be pushing off from the pitching plate. You need to look at the preliminaries section of the rule that states where the feet must be to start the pitch.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
This is the applicable section of the USSSA rule book. I do not have my ASA book or NFHS book with me to quote, but the NFHS rule is essentially the same as the USSSA.

Sec 1. A legal pitch shall conform to the following:
A. Prior to the pitch, the pitcher shall have both feet in contact with the
pitcher’s plate. Part of the pivot foot must be on top of the pitcher’s plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck