What can I do, anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not saying anything about the foot being on top of the rubber. I'm saying prior to pushing off her heel will come up and she'll lose contact with the pitching plate. She'll be illegal unless she's flat footed and maintains contact while pushing off and nobody I've ever seen pitches like that.

Once again, this has been covered several times in this thread. Please read posts 7, 9, 14 & 15. If the pitcher is in legal position for the start of the pitch, she is considered to be pushing off from the pitching plate.

Here is a cut and past of MTR's post with the rule.

6A.1.E.2. (Female) Both feet must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate at all times prior to the forward step. If the pitcher's pivot foot is in contact with the PP at the beginning of the step, she is in compliance with the rule in pushing away from the pitcher's plate. 6A.3.J&K

Nov 18, 2013
You're only looking at the preliminary section. Under Legal Delivery it states "Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitchers plate is illegal". When a pitcher pushes off her heel rises and she'd be pushing off from several inches in front of the pitchers plate if only her heel were in contact. DD used to do this when she pitched on turf and it's illegal.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not missing anything. If she is in a legal preliminary position she is pushing from the pitching plate. This has been covered over and over again in this thread. Under asa rules it is legal to only have the heel touching the pitching plate and somehow here there is a case play or rule clarification stating such.

Nov 18, 2013
How does one push off with their heel in contact with the front of the pitchers plate?

Jun 22, 2008
Im done, you have been told repeatedly and it has been stated by more than one umpire on this thread in ASA the pitchers heel only has to start with touching the pitching plate. For that matter, in any rule set if the pitcher only has the heel on top of the pitching plate, under your definition they would be illegal as soon as the heel lifted and the only way to stay legal would be to have the ball of the foot on the pitching plate.

If the pitcher is in a legal preliminary position, it is perfectly legal for the heel to break contact with the pitching plate as the pitcher strides forward and goes into their pitching motion. If you search a little on this forum you will find another thread from back in 2010 that has the same conclusion in it.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's not just my intrepetation. It's the ASA rule under Legal Delivery.

You're reading the rule, but you apparently don't understand how ASA interprets it.

As long as the foot starts in contact with the pitcher's plate, and isn't moved forward to lose contact with the plate prior to the push off, then the pitcher has satisfied the requirement of "pushing off from the pitcher's plate".

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
You're reading the rule, but you apparently don't understand how ASA interprets it.

As long as the foot starts in contact with the pitcher's plate, and isn't moved forward to lose contact with the plate prior to the push off, then the pitcher has satisfied the requirement of "pushing off from the pitcher's plate".

You are exactly correct and I understand that. My point, and others in this thread, is that with her heel in contact with the front of the plate, she won't be in contact with the plate as she pushes off. As for the OP, the umpires were wrong if they told him she's illegal starting that way. If they told her WILL be illegal trying to pitch that way, then they were correct. It's rarely called because unless you're on the side you can't see it. In Chino Hills this week they have three umps and DD was called for it once.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You are exactly correct and I understand that. My point, and others in this thread, is that with her heel in contact with the front of the plate, she won't be in contact with the plate as she pushes off. As for the OP, the umpires were wrong if they told him she's illegal starting that way. If they told her WILL be illegal trying to pitch that way, then they were correct. It's rarely called because unless you're on the side you can't see it. In Chino Hills this week they have three umps and DD was called for it once.

Apparently, you do not understand it or you wouldn't continue the argument.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My point, and others in this thread, is that with her heel in contact with the front of the plate, she won't be in contact with the plate as she pushes off...

When does the "push off" officially begin? When does it end? And what is the rule that states the foot must be in contact throughout the entire push off process? Because as you've described it, and I'm going to echo Comp here, every pitch where the heel lifts from the plate while the toes are pushing dirt would be an IP. I was just cruising through the ASA book and I can't find any sort of clear delineation of when a push off starts and stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom