What can I do, anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think the important lesson here for the OP is that if you have been warned about a situation in a prior tournament that you do not agree with, then you should have chapter and verse memorized and available for review with the umpire/TD/whoever for the particular rule set you will be playing each week.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Two simple words for you....

I PROTEST

This SHOULD get a UIC to your field to give you and the umpires a proper rule interpretation. If this is done correctly, it's a win-win, your pitcher is allowed to pitch as she was taught (if the rule set for that tournament allows it) and the umpires learn the proper rule interpretation, hopefully.

I am well aware that this process is always followed in tournament around the country, so YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) on this particular issue.

Sep 5, 2012
The asa preliminaries only require the feet to be in contact with the pitching plate to start the pitch and it is considered to be pushing off from the pitching plate. You need to look at the preliminaries section of the rule that states where the feet must be to start the pitch.

If a pitcher has the back of the heel of her pivot foot against the front part of the pitcher's plate, is she truly remaining in contact with it? An argument can be made that she is not.

Additionally ASA does specify in their preliminaries that the pitcher must take the signal (or appear to take the signal) while on the pitcher's plate so there is a provision for being on top of it.

Jun 22, 2008
If a pitcher has the back of the heel of her pivot foot against the front part of the pitcher's plate, is she truly remaining in contact with it? An argument can be made that she is not.

Additionally ASA does specify in their preliminaries that the pitcher must take the signal (or appear to take the signal) while on the pitcher's plate so there is a provision for being on top of it.

You can try to pick apart the rule all you want, but ASA only requires the foot to be in contact with the pitching plate at the start of the pitch and having the heel of the foot up against the front edge of the pitching plate satisfies that requirement. And for that matter, EVERY rule set allows the pivot foot to drag away. There is no requirement for the foot to remain in contact with the pitching plate throughout the delivery, they merely state what the requirements are for the start of the delivery. In ASA, if the feet are both in contact with the pitching plate they have satisfied the rule requirement and they are on the pitching plate.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You can try to pick apart the rule all you want, but ASA only requires the foot to be in contact with the pitching plate at the start of the pitch and having the heel of the foot up against the front edge of the pitching plate satisfies that requirement. And for that matter, EVERY rule set allows the pivot foot to drag away. There is no requirement for the foot to remain in contact with the pitching plate throughout the delivery, they merely state what the requirements are for the start of the delivery. In ASA, if the feet are both in contact with the pitching plate they have satisfied the rule requirement and they are on the pitching plate.

And 6A.1.E.2. (Female) Both feet must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate at all times prior to the forward step. If the pitcher's pivot foot is in contact with the PP at the beginning of the step, she is in compliance with the rule in pushing away from the pitcher's plate. 6A.3.J&K

Nov 29, 2009
My DD pitches (Hillhouse student) and she puts her push off heal up against the pitching rubber and her stride toe noses up to the back of the rubber when taking her pitching position

My question is why is she not taking advantage using the pitcher's plate to push off from? That's what it's there for.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My question is why is she not taking advantage using the pitcher's plate to push off from? That's what it's there for.

That's not what Hillhouse teaches, and the OP stated she was a BH student. Probably looking for those few extra inches closer to the batter on release? Seems to me that with cleats on, your leverage is similar when pushing off. Dunno for sure.

Nov 18, 2013
IMO starting with the heel in front and in contact with the pitchers plate would result in a illegal pitch. The only way to keep the foot in contact with the rubber as she begins her stride would be to keep her foot flat. Video would help, but I expect she's getting up on the balls of her feet prior to pushing off, thus she's no longer in contact with the rubber.

Jun 22, 2008
IMO starting with the heel in front and in contact with the pitchers plate would result in a illegal pitch. The only way to keep the foot in contact with the rubber as she begins her stride would be to keep her foot flat. Video would help, but I expect she's getting up on the balls of her feet prior to pushing off, thus she's no longer in contact with the rubber.

It has already been stated several times in this thread that in ASA it is perfectly legal to start with the pivot foot heel only touching the front edge of the pitching plate. Most other rule sets require a portion of the pivot foot to be on top of the pitching plate.

Nov 18, 2013
It has already been stated several times in this thread that in ASA it is perfectly legal to start with the pivot foot heel only touching the front edge of the pitching plate. Most other rule sets require a portion of the pivot foot to be on top of the pitching plate.

I'm not saying anything about the foot being on top of the rubber. I'm saying prior to pushing off her heel will come up and she'll lose contact with the pitching plate. She'll be illegal unless she's flat footed and maintains contact while pushing off and nobody I've ever seen pitches like that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd