What can I do, anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
MTR Cited the rule earlier, but gave his opinion inistead of the actual rule.

6A.3.J
J. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitchers plate is illegal.

I don't think it can get any clearer, but some people just like to argue.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

6A.3.J
J. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitchers plate is illegal.

MTR is an experienced- and I mean VERY experienced- ASA umpire.

Comp is an experienced ASA umpire.

I myself am an experienced ASA umpire.

You're not interpreting this correctly. As long as the foot is in contact with the plate when the pushoff starts, then that is interpreted as "pushing off from the pitcher's plate".

PS: Is that your kid in your avatar pic? Is she about to get called for an illegal pitch because her heel is on the pitcher's plate and the ball of her foot (which apparently is what you think needs to be on top of the plate) is out in front of it?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio

6A.3.J

Actually, it can be a lot clearer. What is a "push off?" There's no definition given. At what point may the pivot foot leave the plate? Not addressed in the rules or supplements (but I'm using a 2014 book, so maybe it's there now). Seems to me that without a clear definition of "pushing off," specifically at which points it starts and stops, it becomes a judgment call by Blue, and as our Blues here have repeatedly pointed out: starting the pitch with the heel in contact satisfies the rule.

But as you say, some people just like to argue.

Nov 18, 2013
MTR is an experienced- and I mean VERY experienced- ASA umpire.

Comp is an experienced ASA umpire.

I myself am an experienced ASA umpire.

You're not interpreting this correctly. As long as the foot is in contact with the plate when the pushoff starts, then that is interpreted as "pushing off from the pitcher's plate".

PS: Is that your kid in your avatar pic? Is she about to get called for an illegal pitch because her heel is on the pitcher's plate and the ball of her foot (which apparently is what you think needs to be on top of the plate) is out in front of it?

Yes, that's her and she has been called on it a few times and warned several times. Apparantly she shouldn't have been though. Sorry, I didn't know you were all umpires. You guys obviously have more exerience with this. My apologies for dragging it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd