What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Not sure his post says you lose velocity. I wasn't arguing velocity - arguing time.

d = V*t

t = d/V

Constant velocity & Less distance = less time

Only if they are pitching the way you have described. Which most are not.

Which while technically illegal, most umpires, opposing coaches, and tournament directors do not care. So why is that? Because it's not the advantage that you are describing. Again see post #4.

Jul 19, 2021
Except they aren't throwing 9 MPH faster. It isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

The few true crow hoppers we have faced didn't throw with great velocity. Their delivery looked slightly off but not enough so that you couldn't time it.
Kelly Barnhill, one of the most notorious crow hoppers to ever play, had plenty of velo. 70 mph worth to be exact. To say that crow hoppers don't have velo because the few you faced didn't have it is being intentionally disingenuous.

Jun 20, 2015
So you are on team X, and your pitcher pitches 100% within the rules.. And you are playing Team Y, who's pitcher is not pitching within the rules..... Why should team Y benefit from breaking of the established rules??? By not enforcing the rules that are in place, the officiating crew is actually helping Team Y cheat.

Not saying the rule is correct, needs changed, etc. Rule is the rule. No different that 14 yr olds don't play 10u, 2018 USSSA ghost is illegal for USA/ASA play, etc, etc.,, and a plethora of other rules.

Jun 8, 2016
Only if they are pitching the way you have described. Which most are not.

Which while technically illegal, most umpires, opposing coaches, and tournament directors do not care. So why is that? Because it's not the advantage that you are describing. Again see post #4.
What are you arguing? That they lose velocity hence it doesn't matter?

Jun 8, 2016
So you are on team X, and your pitcher pitches 100% within the rules.. And you are playing Team Y, who's pitcher is not pitching within the rules..... Why should team Y benefit from breaking of the established rules??? By not enforcing the rules that are in place, the officiating crew is actually helping Team Y cheat.

Not saying the rule is correct, needs changed, etc. Rule is the rule. No different that 14 yr olds don't play 10u, 2018 USSSA ghost is illegal for USA/ASA play, etc, etc.,, and a plethora of other rules.
Again this isn't a good rule/bad rule thread..not sure why you want to make it one.

Jun 20, 2015
if pitcher is not pitching within the rules and rule not being enforced, ie no punishment issued... there's an advantage to the pitching in a non compliant manner.

Jun 8, 2016
if pitcher is not pitching within the rules and rule not being enforced, ie no punishment issued... there's an advantage to the pitching in a non compliant manner.
Ok so the act of breaking the rule is the advantage....got it. Nice recovery..

Smoking a crack pipe while pitching probably isn't legal either..

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
There are few things more disruptive to a game (or more annoying) than a field umpire seemingly randomly calling illegal pitches on pitchers who leap slightly or are technically crow hopping. I'd rather just see them do away with the rule than cause the kind of chaos I have occasionally seen at games. We have a pitcher on our HS team who technically crow hops and always has. Never seen it give her any great advantage. I also never saw it called by any umpire anywhere until a few weeks ago when the opposing head coach complained about it and I guess the ump felt obligated to. He then proceeded to randomly call it, when it should have been called on every single pitch if you are actually going to enforce the rule.

I am in the camp of throw it whatever way you want and we'll hit it. Having the umps try to call these infractions, which are sometimes actually difficult to notice in real time, is crazy. I think that potentially has a bigger impact on the game than any advantage real or otherwise that leaping or crow hopping provides.

As an aside, my DD has never had this leaping or crow hopping issue and was taught the "proper" way. I'd rather just watch the game than sweat what seem to be mostly minor rule infractions.

Jun 8, 2016
Lol..I thought I was the one who liked looking for arguments..(ok I am the one but there appears to be others.. :LOL: )

Oct 4, 2018
all rules should be questioned.....just saying its illegal without a valid justification doesn't make sense......now the increase volicity.....closer distances all make sense to why it is illegal.....if its a possiblity of increased injury that would make sense also.......

For me I am trying to understand the advantage.....my daugther pitches are off extremely when she crow hops.....and that prompted me to wondering.....what advantage does it have as my daughter doesn't get any advantage......for her the to hop or not hop doesn't gain her any additional distance....its the same.

My opinion is that if crow hopping were legal, many girls would be in pitching lessons learning new mechanics to take advantage of it. Because in essence you get to replant the plant foot 18 inches closer to the plate and get into that plant foot with increased velocity towards the plate. I'd be in line with my wallet open to learn how to take advantage of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55