What 260’ looks like

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Am I the only one thinks that the new found evidence of the 320' Missouri bomb makes the 250' 12U HR more probable? Biggest issue is no one is exactly standing around in the parking lot of those 12U games.

Jun 8, 2016
Am I the only one thinks that the new found evidence of the 320' Missouri bomb makes the 250' 12U HR more probable? Biggest issue is no one is exactly standing around in the parking lot of those 12U games.
That ball stopped rolling 320’...no way it had 320’ carry...

Mar 20, 2019
You can talk about moving the fences back, but it is never going to happen... too many universities with nice, expensive stadiums, that do not have room for a 230' fence, let alone 250'. So, you are left with higher fences, deader bats, or un-juicing the ball.

Georgia Tech... squeezed into the Mid Town Atlanta campus... no room to move the fences... 190 corners/220 Centerfield. Back a couple of years ago, my 14yo DD put one off the centerfield fence at camp during BP.
View attachment 21903
Columbia University... talk about squeezed in....
View attachment 21904
Even Texas A&M, (A land grant institution) would have to relocate their nice stadium to move the fence back more than a few feet. 213' to the side walk in right field.
View attachment 21905
UCLA could maybe move the corners out to 220 before they hit Sunset Blvd.
View attachment 21906
How cool could those parks be if the didn't move the whole fence back but went with asymmetrical walls. Add some character and a true home field advantage. Like the old ball parks that were built to fit their lots.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ice hockey doesn't allow players to check each other til a certain age, that just seems wrong, it would be like dressing kids out in full gear to play flag football

Nope. As someone who grey up playing youth hockey, I can verify that full gear is a good idea for the littles. Flying pucks, flailing sticks, and metal blades are still capable of causing injuries. Despite not being able to give intentional body checks, there's still a lot of bumping into each other that goes on.

Apr 7, 2014
In volleyball the net height changes for every age division and is 8" higher for the males than the females except at age 13 where the net is close to the same height
The balls are also heavier as the players get older.

In golf the course moves to the longer distance tees as the players get older.

Football, the ball changes, the field does not
I wouldn't know anything about soccer but don't even consider that a sport
Basketball I look at like soccer
Ice hockey doesn't allow players to check each other til a certain age, that just seems wrong, it would be like dressing kids out in full gear to play flag football

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Having watched a recent 10u game I would say to your point of youth and adults using the same size field that it would be more effective for 8U, 10u, 12u fields to shrink a little to mimic the adult game than go to 250/275 and 75’.
I prefer 210lines and 220 center but that’s just my opinion.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
There are too many college fields with fences too close IMO, but they're not going to be forced to make new fields capable of more appropriate dimensions. Sport is advancing (all sports, not just FP). I think OU is actually changing the NCAA game this year, schools that can recruit the biggest power hitters in the country will do so and make it a larger priority going forward... This started 5-10 (or more) years ago with lots of moms and dads training their kid to swing hard and put the ball out.. I do it, I know there's a lot of posters here who do the same (my motivation has been @Eric F documenting Maddie's journey). This decision on power comes with a price though, it shifts ever so slightly away from that quickness we all love about the game. So change is good! But if it keeps up where all the stronger girls are put on teams to knock HR's, then maybe the game drifted too much and a small change would be needed... Probably a deader ball or maybe a deader bat, slightly bring the # of HR's down to a reasonable level and boom, the quickness returns. Baseball does (did) it, we could do it too and everything would work out just fine.

Either way, this game is amazing! Best show on earth IMO

Oct 26, 2019
I thought that college baseball slowed down the bats to protect the pitchers. The exit speed was getting so high that pitchers didn't have a chance.
Baseball had a run for a few years before composite bats were banned and BBCOR became the standard where I thought someone was going to hit a ball so hard they were going to kill someone. Those composite bats were absolutely juiced. Around that time there was growing push at the college level to move to wood bats. BBCOR was a good compromise.

Oct 26, 2019
I had a 10 year old last night hit one out at our high school field in bp. The fence is ‘200 all the way around. Kinda crazy to think the field will never get any bigger for her. In baseball every time I got to the point I could hit it out the field got bigger and you had to start all over again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish