What 260’ looks like

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
@Schmickster

You seem to think
Fastpitch is supposed to be the
GIRL VERSION
of baseball.

Its NOT !!!

Fastpitch is purposely NOT bb.
Two different sports!!!
Then why are people in fastpitch constantly comparing their sport to baseball?
In the short time I have been a member on here I have seen posts and threads and articles about why baseball has more fans at games, more support from schools/boosters, nicer fields, larger rosters, even saw a post where someone asked why MLB doesnt support a pro softball league the way the NBA supports (pays for) ladies basketball.

You can not constantly compare and say you deserve what baseball has earned and at the same time say that you don't want to be compared to baseball.

I realize and understand that they're different sports, my original question is why are grown women using the same size base path and out field as the 10 and unders? The only difference between 10U little girls and women's college softball is the ball is a little larger a bit harder and the pitcher is farther back. The bases are the same distance, the outfields are the same distance, they're still using drop 10 composite bats. Take the baseball comparisons out and you still have grown up 200 plus pound people playing on the same sized field as 4 foot tall 50 pound little kids.

Move the bases to 75 and the fences to 250 and limit the bats to drop 8 starting at 14U and drop 5 for HS, college and 16U and that will more closely match the growth of the players

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
my original question is why are grown women using the same size base path and out field as the 10 and unders?

Baseball is really the only sport that comes to mind where the size of the field changes for age. 10U soccer, hockey, basketball (actually not sure when the hoop height changes, or if it does), football, tennis, track all play on the same field as the adults as far as I know.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Then why are people in fastpitch constantly comparing their sport to baseball?
In the short time I have been a member on here I have seen posts and threads and articles about why baseball has more fans at games, more support from schools/boosters, nicer fields, larger rosters, even saw a post where someone asked why MLB doesnt support a pro softball league the way the NBA supports (pays for) ladies basketball.

You can not constantly compare and say you deserve what baseball has earned and at the same time say that you don't want to be compared to baseball.

I realize and understand that they're different sports, my original question is why are grown women using the same size base path and out field as the 10 and unders? The only difference between 10U little girls and women's college softball is the ball is a little larger a bit harder and the pitcher is farther back. The bases are the same distance, the outfields are the same distance, they're still using drop 10 composite bats. Take the baseball comparisons out and you still have grown up 200 plus pound people playing on the same sized field as 4 foot tall 50 pound little kids.

Move the bases to 75 and the fences to 250 and limit the bats to drop 8 starting at 14U and drop 5 for HS, college and 16U and that will more closely match the growth of the players

Compairing the similarities and the differences.

Not compairing the differences to make them more similar.

Have you actually played fastpitch? On the field?
Just asking
As i have played both.
And they truely are different sports.
Much different to be a runner and defensive play quickness.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@sckmickster seems you tend to overlook/ignor valid point's people bring up?! Stats facts and history of the game.
Only to harp on wanting the entire field of play to change.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
You can talk about moving the fences back, but it is never going to happen... too many universities with nice, expensive stadiums, that do not have room for a 230' fence, let alone 250'. So, you are left with higher fences, deader bats, or un-juicing the ball.

Georgia Tech... squeezed into the Mid Town Atlanta campus... no room to move the fences... 190 corners/220 Centerfield. Back a couple of years ago, my 14yo DD put one off the centerfield fence at camp during BP.
View attachment 21903
Columbia University... talk about squeezed in....
View attachment 21904
Even Texas A&M, (A land grant institution) would have to relocate their nice stadium to move the fence back more than a few feet. 213' to the side walk in right field.
View attachment 21905
UCLA could maybe move the corners out to 220 before they hit Sunset Blvd.
View attachment 21906
...and Northwestern stuck a big building in left field... They could treat it like the Green Monster, play it off the wall; through a window is a homerun.
Northwestern.PNG

Nov 8, 2020
In volleyball the net height changes for every age division and is 8" higher for the males than the females except at age 13 where the net is close to the same height
The balls are also heavier as the players get older.

In golf the course moves to the longer distance tees as the players get older.

Football, the ball changes, the field does not
I wouldn't know anything about soccer but don't even consider that a sport
Basketball I look at like soccer
Ice hockey doesn't allow players to check each other til a certain age, that just seems wrong, it would be like dressing kids out in full gear to play flag football

Jun 8, 2016
Your debate point would/should include every miss hit then.
If thats what they are even tho they get on base.

Possible your debate is to
re-define
What a hit really is?
Should a miss hit be part of a batters hitting average?
Hmmm :unsure: here go's...

No, not being coy previously.
The sport has parameters on the field that organize how the game is played.
Again answer my question, could you tell when you hit a ball well, yes or no? You get on @Schmick's Gloves for ignoring things but you conveniently do the same thing.

Again my point is that for a OTF HR where the defense has no ability to effect the outcome, if you gave a hitter a truth serum and asked them if they hit the ball well and they said no then, for all but the elite of the elite, that shouldn't be a HR.

I get that moving the fences it probably isn't possible in a lot of places so I am probably just arguing for the sake of arguing, but changing the fence distances will have the least negative effect on the speed of the game while at the same time putting more onus on quality contact resulting in an OTF HR.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Again answer my question, could you tell when you hit a ball well, yes or no? You get on @Schmick's Gloves for ignoring things but you conveniently do the same thing.

Again my point is for a OTF HR where the defense has no ability to effect the outcome, if you gave a hitter a truth serum and asked them if they hit the ball well and they said no then, for all but the elite of the elite, that shouldn't be a HR.
Have been directly replying Mr.P
Even started a post to your point!

Did you not understand my answer? Guess not.

A good hit or miss hit that goes over the fence is a home run.
A flail chipped poorly that produces a runner on base is a base hit.
The both apply to batting averages.

Never was bummed because i got on base hitting a dumpy doo or odd connection miss hit.
Because i got on base!
Never said oh i shouldnt be on base.

My goal is too get on base.
Plenty of times ripped the shirt out of the ball directly into a deffensive glove.
So that good hit did nothing but signal to the other team i have power. So the next at bat i would get worse selection of pitches. Guess what...happy to connect in anyway and produce anything to get me on base.

I do not see giant towering (what you call Pop flies) that end up 210 ft away over the home run fence... don't consider those pop-ups.
Consider those giant bombs and they're freaking rad!!!

Thats a heavy ball with lots of wind resistance flying over 200'.

Will add this since baseball has been utilized in some of these threads.
when I stepped in the batters box, on the same field that UCLA baseball plays on Jackie Robinson Stadium and crushed a baseball that bounce just in front of the Home Run wall .
pegging the Home Run wall in One bounce.
I stopped being impressed by men who could hit the ball farther like 400 ft
*because of the size and strength that men have...
*and the flight capability of a baseball
I would expect them to be able to!!!

if I had been younger and trained more for it at baseball
Would have probably launched them over the wall myself. Wasnt at peak of training. Hadnt hit in about a year at the time.

That said when I watch Major League Baseball I am still impressed at the pitching abilities and the hitters abilities to hit it...
but I am not impressed at the ability to be able to hit it so far because I could hit it so far myself.

The size of the fields and the ball are in direct relation to why these sports are different.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Have been directly replying Mr.P
Even started a post to your point!

Did you not understand my answer? Guess not.

A good hit or miss hit that goes over the fence is a home run.
A flail chipped poorly that produces a runner on base is a base hit.
The both apply to batting averages.

I never was bummed because i got on base hitting a dumpy doo or odd connection miss hit.
Because i got on base!

My goal is too get on base.
Plenty of times ripped the shirt out of the ball directly into a deffensive glove.
So what good hit did nothing but signal to the other team i have power. So the next at bat i would get worse selection of pitches. Guess what...happy to connect in anyway and produce anything to get me on base.

I do not see giant towering what you call Pop flies that end up 210 ft away over the home run fence I don't consider those pop-ups
I consider those giant bombs and they're freaking rad!!!

Thats a heavy ball with lots of wind resistance flying over 200'.

I will add this since baseball has been utilized in some of these threads.
when I stepped on the field the same field that UCLA baseball plays on Jackie Robinson Stadium and crushed a baseball that bounce just in front of the Home Run wall .
pegging the Home Run wall in One bounce.
I stopped being impressed by men who could hit the ball farther like 400 ft
*because of the size and strength that men have...
I would expect them to be able to!!!
if I had been younger and traineds more at baseball
Would have probably launched them over the wall myself.
That said when I watch Major League Baseball I am still impressed at the pitching abilities and the hitters abilities to hit it...
but I am not impressed at the ability to be able to hit it so far because I could hit it so far and I was not in the peak of my athleticism and hadn't been really playing for at least a year and a half and stepped in the box like that and cranked it out to the wall.

The size of the fields and the ball are in direct relation to why these sports are different.
Too long..need Ritalin to get through that hence will agree to disagree...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd