Ball Rollback?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't know how many golfers there are on the site but for those who aren't there is a rule change coming which will rollback the distance the golf ball will be legally allowed to travel. The distances that players can hit the ball, mostly pro and low handicappers, especially with the driver, is out of control and making a lot golf courses obsolete. Initially they were thinking of having two standards (Pro and Amateur) but have decided on just one. I would like to see softball do something similar. As a pitching coach I am always worried about my girls getting drilled by a comebacker. They have let the bats get too hot and dialing back the ball would correct that and make the game safer.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I don't know how many golfers there are on the site but for those who aren't there is a rule change coming which will rollback the distance the golf ball will be legally allowed to travel. The distances that players can hit the ball, mostly pro and low handicappers, especially with the driver, is out of control and making a lot golf courses obsolete. Initially they were thinking of having two standards (Pro and Amateur) but have decided on just one. I would like to see softball do something similar. As a pitching coach I am always worried about my girls getting drilled by a comebacker. They have let the bats get too hot and dialing back the ball would correct that and make the game safer.
They are restricting the golf balls to make this happen? The only way it will affect my game is reducing the number of trees I ricochet off of.
Taking a little pop out of something would be fine with me. I wouldn't care if it's bats or balls or both. Softball action in front of the fence is like watching good offenses and defenses go at it in football. Home runs are like watching field goals (sorry, kickers).

May 13, 2023
Hmmm 🤔 so they are removing the opportunity to use the slant of the course and the skill of being able to hit the ball with rollback. Appears to be dumbing down the sport.

May 13, 2023
As a pitching coach I am always worried about my girls getting drilled by a comebacker.
Since you are a pitching instructor,
will ask,
do you teach your pitchers anything in particular to be set up after the finish of their pitches to prepare them to be defensive players?

They have let the bats get too hot and dialing back the ball would correct that and make the game safer.
It's the easiest less expensive solution.

And if they did that...
Would be interesting to see if and when
(Again) the speed of runners will become more important than just giant size of batters with a lightweight techno bat in their hand.

Jul 11, 2023
do you teach your pitchers anything in particular to be set up after the finish of their pitches to prepare them to be defensive player?
I won't answer for anyone in particular but will offer that I got a stern talking to for even suggesting that pitchers get into a defensive position after releasing the ball.

As far as deadening the ball, I am in. Kids mostly detailed my slowpitch career. But it went from me hitting 3-5 homers a year to hitting 1-2 per game, stopped only by league limits per game. I was on a team with a guy who would seek out the hottest gear and supply the team. Going from a regular single wall bat to composite was like swinging a trampoline. It was fun for a minute but got boring real fast. I never had any satisfaction from HRs that should have died on the warning track as I got under it too much.

My guy still would barely hit the ball out of the infield which was mind boggling. lol

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
do you teach your pitchers anything in particular to be set up after the finish of their pitches to prepare them to be defensive players?
Not any specific position. I will talk to them about it to make them aware. Sometimes I will do a drill where I will have a ball and as they release the pitch I will flip my ball back at them, it's more to remind them that they have to stay alert and can't fall asleep admiring or criticizing the pitch.

May 13, 2023
I won't answer for anyone in particular but will offer that I got a stern talking to for even suggesting that pitchers get into a defensive position after releasing the ball.
Who offered the stern talk?
Coach? Parent?
A Person walking by?😉

Oct 4, 2018
My DD is pitcher and a power hitter. As a 14U she is now hitting HRs regularly. Mixed feelings on this one for sure. :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has pitched a fair amount and was armored up a little bit, face mask. She has never has been hit by a batted ball.

I am resistant to any changes but I might be open to changing the ball a little bit.

DD has been hurt few times, non contacted sport lol.

I have only seen 1 player destroyed by a ball, opposing Team not sure how it ended up but an ambulance took her to hospital.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles