Video pitching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I want to start this thread by saying I have been very opposed to taking lessons over video for a long time. The problem is I need to change instructors for my daughter, and there is no one within driving distance that I'd consider to be what my daughter needs. Her existing trainer is a great person and teacher, but we've reached a point where she's too comfortable and needs someone more invested in video analysis and a weekly plan.

Has anyone had success with video lessons? I know it's logistically very difficult, and I'd rather see someone in person, but driving three hours each way through NYC is not practical.

Your thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated.

May 27, 2013
I want to start this thread by saying I have been very opposed to taking lessons over video for a long time. The problem is I need to change instructors for my daughter, and there is no one within driving distance that I'd consider to be what my daughter needs. Her existing trainer is a great person and teacher, but we've reached a point where she's too comfortable and needs someone more invested in video analysis and a weekly plan.

Has anyone had success with video lessons? I know it's logistically very difficult, and I'd rather see someone in person, but driving three hours each way through NYC is not practical.

Maybe you could do hybrid monthly lessons (or maybe a weekend of lessons) in-person and then check in weekly with video with the coach to reinforce things or tweak things noted in the video?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Maybe you could do hybrid monthly lessons (or maybe a weekend of lessons) in-person and then check in weekly with video with the coach to reinforce things or tweak things noted in the video?
The problem is I can't find anyone close enough to even make a weekend work.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD has been in something of a similar spot for a while. We have some very good instructors that are about 2 hours away going through some tough traffic. Not practical with everything going on to go weekly or even every other week. They don’t do video lessons.

My sense from Twitter is that Jillian Stephens from Fastpitch Power offers video lessons and she has developed at least a small stable of very accomplished pitchers (e.g., one recently committing to U of GA). Might be worth a look. Some have dragged Fastpitch Power on these boards over time, but I’ve always thought that what they taught was sound (certainly relative to what else is out there).

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We have a Tincher instructor on Long Island, but I'm not sure if she employs video in her lessons. Can anyone speak to if they use video analysis in their lessons?

Aug 21, 2008
We have a Tincher instructor on Long Island, but I'm not sure if she employs video in her lessons. Can anyone speak to if they use video analysis in their lessons?
I guess I don't understand, you want someone to use video DURING the lessons or as a substitute when you can't get to the coach?

Jan 6, 2018

I'd start by asking the current coach if they'd mind input from another coach...and then pay @Hillhouse to help you out! Are you still doing that Bill?

Sometimes coaches and students can get stuck in a rut and just need a kick in a new direction. I used Bill to help with one of my students and it's really paid off.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I guess I don't understand, you want someone to use video DURING the lessons or as a substitute when you can't get to the coach?
Bill, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

After the evaluation you did for Erin, I realized she needed a new trainer. I've been leaning that way for a while, but she's been reluctant to move since she like a second Mom to her. The problem is we don't have a lot of trainers available on LI, so my options are limited for in-person lessons. If I did find someone close enough, I would want to make sure they employed the use of video as she's a visual learner. She needs to see what she's doing wrong rather than be told.

Short of finding someone close enough, I'd want to shift to video lessons with a top-notch coach, such as yourself, but I know not everyone does that.

Jan 6, 2018
Bill, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

After the evaluation you did for Erin, I realized she needed a new trainer. I've been leaning that way for a while, but she's been reluctant to move since she like a second Mom to her. The problem is we don't have a lot of trainers available on LI, so my options are limited for in-person lessons. If I did find someone close enough, I would want to make sure they employed the use of video as she's a visual learner. She needs to see what she's doing wrong rather than be told.

Short of finding someone close enough, I'd want to shift to video lessons with a top-notch coach, such as yourself, but I know not everyone does that.
LOL - ignore my post. You already did that! I don't do video lessons, but based on my experience, I'm not sure you'd find a www.paulygirlfastpitch.com that doesn't use video. I know I use it every lesson!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles