Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
He wants to not play and still have TB going on during the HS season....
A lot of places do. In VA they can play both. There are also plenty of states who have opposite seasons. If you are in a spring HS sport season then just travel and play in the states that have fall sports season who are already hosting tournaments 🤷‍♀️

Jun 19, 2016
I am pretty sure that my DD's high school team isn't going to be great but she is looking for to it. She likes the idea of playing with her friends and playing for her school.

The only problem I see is that I have seen a few injuries of good travel ball players that are being asked to pitch when they don't have that skill set...but I think that can be managed by limiting the innings of non experienced pitchers. You probably shouldn't ask a third baseman to go pitch a 7 inning game.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

When my DD was first-year 14U (8th grade), there were a couple of "dark" teams we played that were 9th graders who weren't playing HS ball. I have no idea if there are 16U or 18U "dark" teams. If there are, I can't imagine there are enough to make things worthwhile.

EDIT: Other than (theoretically) playing at a higher level of competition, it's going to be playing just to play. There won't be any college coaches available to attend events.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD played MS, practiced everyday for a couple hours Monday - Friday then other coaches and I got a crack at her occasionally.

It was a grind for her.

We have a wheel field and even though it was against the rules player on DD's Team went to washroom and took her game jersey off and went to practice with her TB Team when MS game was over.

Too much for DD anyways, she is ready to go home.

Jan 24, 2020
The Interesting thing about CA relaxing their rules is that there has been a lot of discussion about avoiding the conflict between TB and HS. DD's HS (and the rest of their league) has floated not playing on weekends (incl. Fridays) and scheduling games early enough that the girls could still make TB practice, and TB would be expected to not schedule games for other days of the week. The HS teams don't want to lose their top players, and the TB teams are basically unaffected. This is all hypothetical of course since it looks like we won't have much of a HS season anyway, but it could be a model for doing away with the traditional TB dead period in the future.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Not sure where the OP is from, but there are some options. Our team didn't play any tournaments during high school season, but we continued with hitting practice year round. Most of the schools didn't mind and some promoted it.

Occasionally we would play a friendly or a scrimmage. This took some coordination as we would have players from several different travel teams showing up to participate. We had a good relationship with other local teams. None of us would have enough players available to field a team on our own, but combined, we did. Sometimes we allowed the players to pick the teams, similar to street basketball when I was a kid.

You could always travel to those states that allow it and play as a pickup player.

I for one know what it is like to have a DD play for a weak high school program. She was the only player with travel ball experience her junior and senior years. It's not much fun, but she still has some fond memories of her experience.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One of our accomplishes in 8U is every player pitched in a game. Some took to it, some did not want anything to do with it again.

Same plan was in place for C, I was concerned about a couple players safety so we failed at C. 2 did not play in game,oh well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet