Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As a freshman, my DD was the best player on the varsity team, and was one of just 4 girls on the team that had any TB experience. Many of her teammates had only played HS ball. That year, they equaled the school's best record in league play in over 10 years...4-10. This included a 28-0 loss to a team stacked deep with talented TB players. Despite the tremendously mediocre level of talent of the team, my DD had fun, and made some good friends among her teammates. For the first time since she was in 10u rec ball, she got to see softball teammates in the halls and classrooms of her school. The following fall, she got burned out with the grind and pressure of high-level TB, and resigned from her team. What kept her softball fire lit was the thought of returning to the fun of her HS team, and the hope that they might be a little better next year. Yes, the talent level is worse than TB. Yes, the coaching is worse than TB. But that's not all there is to this game.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I heard in California, before this second outbreak, that players were going to be able to play travel and high school at the same time this year. Not sure if that was true or formalized, but something I heard.

Correct. It was announced that athletes would be able to play school and club/travel sports at the same time. However, right now, it's looking like school sports may likely get cancelled completely.

May 27, 2013
Believe it or not playing a varsity sport - especially since freshman year - can really help with college applications. The Adcoms like to see the dedication and sense of giving back to the school community, something that they want to see carry over into the college community.

Mar 10, 2020
I heard in California, before this second outbreak, that players were going to be able to play travel and high school at the same time this year. Not sure if that was true or formalized, but something I heard.
Thats all it takes relaxing rules.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thats all it takes relaxing rules.

One of the problems, however, will be deciding where the priority is. You will get coaches on both sides demanding their team is the priority and the player must attend all team events. For a player, it's probably going to be too much to do both, even if both coaches are flexible. What you'll get is a talent pool on both ends that is compromised.

Mar 10, 2020
One of the problems, however, will be deciding where the priority is. You will get coaches on both sides demanding their team is the priority and the player must attend all team events. For a player, it's probably going to be too much to do both, even if both coaches are flexible. What you'll get is a talent pool on both ends that is compromised.
Not interested at all in high school ball.

May 21, 2018
You want better HS coaches pay them more..maybe OP should start a petition to raise taxes so they can do this..yeah I thought so.
Well at DD's school, teachers get first shot at coaching. It wouldn't matter if Mike White showed up to interview, Carl the English teacher still gets the job if he wants it. No disrespect to any teachers named Carl of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812