High school discipline / travel ball repercussion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
High school is a requirement.
imo softball is an opportunity.

High schoolers who break a rule can get suspended if they don't play sports all they get is suspended.

High schoolers who are also participating in sports if they get suspended they can also be suspended from their sport.

Perhaps the schools in that situation are saying they had to discipline you from school and because of that don't want you representing school in uniform.

⬆️ this may be the reason a travel ball coach takes a disciplinary action also.🤷‍♀️
Additional consideration to this situation...
Because at those High School ages when travel ball coaches are trying to help players get recruited, there are those conversations with college coaches that include some crossover from high school in conversations
examples~
GPA on player bio.
How does the player handle High School?
How are her seasons there?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I still have no idea why in the USA we link sports and school so closely. It is so stupid. No other country does it to the level we do.

For many kids, sports is their only outlet. Many of my junior teams when I was growing up had a lot of kids that were not school smart and from families that were really rough. Sports was their escape - when they didn't have sports, they found way worse things to do.

Unless there is some over-riding thing that makes it a bad idea or there is some relation from the school incident to the sports team or there was some specific team policy that people knew going in,, then that is separate and let them play.

That is not to say the parents can't enforce something - it was well understood that if I didn't get my homework done or sports interfered into my school, what the priority was.
Marriard, I live in Small Town, USA. My community is the perfect example of sports and academics going hand in hand to build and grow a community. You can not go 100 feet from my house and not see a yard sign supporting some athlete and sport at the local high school. When I changed schools I taught at and went to this high school to coach and teach, this HS was a laughing stock in athletics. The community was losing residence. Now, it is a powerhouse athletically and the town has doubled and almost tripled. People move in for the combination of academics and athletics. Our property values have gone up and we want that school to do well in both. Our rivalries are intense. IMO, people want that.

May 13, 2023
Marriard, I live in Small Town, USA. My community is the perfect example of sports and academics going hand in hand to build and grow a community. You can not go 100 feet from my house and not see a yard sign supporting some athlete and sport at the local high school. When I changed schools I taught at and went to this high school to coach and teach, this HS was a laughing stock in athletics. The community was losing residence. Now, it is a powerhouse athletically and the town has doubled and almost tripled. People move in for the combination of academics and athletics. Our property values have gone up and we want that school to do well in both. Our rivalries are intense. IMO, people want that.
Same reasoning- Here in California people will find creative ways to have an address within particular High School's zoning to attend. And drive way out of the way to get their kids there.

( regardless of real estate value)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, I don't agree with tying TB with HS activities or actions. I was cut from both the baseball and basketball teams in both my freshman and sophomore years. I asked the baseball coach why I was cut. During both years, I knew that I was one of the best players in my HS. The answer I got was that I was, "just too mean." I had a reputation for being in a lot of fights. What the coaches were ignoring was where I lived and what I had to do to protect my brother and sister. Thank goodness the varsity coach gave me a chance and I proved I deserved to be a starter on the varsity. Again, I don't think it fair since the TB coaches don't have any idea what is happening in the HS.

Jun 8, 2016
Same reasoning- Here in California people will find creative ways to have an address within particular High School's zoning to attend. And drive way out of the way to get their kids there.

That has nothing to do with building a community and all to do with building a powerhouse sports program. Here in OK you can get a transfer waiver to any school you want to with little to no reason...Marcela has already been asked if she wants to transfer to 3 different HS (my answer was, you going to drive her there?)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
That has nothing to do with building a community and all to do with building a powerhouse sports program. Here in OK you can get a transfer waiver to any school you want to with little to no reason...
That isn't the same in all areas or states. For us, schools that can control a transfer's release rarely do so. In coaching baseball and basketball, we had players transfer in. I had a D-I catcher move in because his dad and I played HS baseball together and he wanted his son to play in my program. The school that they left wanted an investigation. The parents moved into our district and that was that.

May 13, 2023
That has nothing to do with building a community and all to do with building a powerhouse sports program. Here in OK you can get a transfer waiver to any school you want to with little to no reason...
It is similar because the schools are driven by academics AND are in support of their athletic programs being strong.
Draws people who want both.
⬆️

Jan 20, 2023
Know there are College Programs including d1s that have mandatory Study Hall built into their schedules.

Does that offend the separation of school and softball group? Is that overstepping? After all they do have academic eligibility requirements throughout the year.

They also have assigned tutors to the teams to help the athletes. Is that overstepping or is that opportunity?

I think when you sign on to play in college you sign on to do your best to stay academically eligible - so it’s part of the job.

My experience as an athlete and an athletic department study hall monitor/ tutor in grad school is that it’s pretty flexible if you keep your grades up. Neither large state university had required study hall except for freshmen (and those at risk) and it was pretty flexible if your grades were good. Granted in grad school (very good football school) there was a whole department across the hall for the kids who were struggling that I rarely interacted with- but I know it was a lot more intense - occasionally I got pulled in when it involved my area of study to do some tutoring.

The tutors are an opportunity imo. A lot of professors have office hours/ departmental help opportunities in the afternoon when you have to be at practice. We had morning practice- classes- lift- classes- practice - dinner with very little break. Getting to office hours could be extremely hard. So being able to get chemistry confusion cleared up at 9pm made a huge difference.

I think the critical feature on all of this is making sure expectations are laid out ahead of time and people sign up with their eyes open. Same with club vs school team. My daughter’s new club team has a monthly grade reporting requirement. Had nothing to do with our choice- but I signed on to send her grades monthly and for her to get suspended if they fall below a certain point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles