Academic Eligibility on your TRAVEL team~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
there's plenty of orgs.....if one has a policy you don't like, then move on

we always made covenants a la proactive coaching........we had positive behaviors on there attached to academics, but we had no hard fast policy, it was listed on the covenant so we could support parental decisions around participation & grades, and to encourage commitment to academics first

Dec 11, 2010
Can’t the struggling student just get with the travelball team’s academic advisor and the team’s academic tutors?

May 13, 2023
I don't think travel teams should worry about grades

unless it is to make sure that the kids know that they need a certain GPA to play in high school and college.

Particularly because there are travel ball teams with the goal of college and at the same time have players that are currently in high school, academic eligibility status can reflect to a college coach considering players on the team.

For that reason
Many travel teams have a roster sheet that includes academic GPA. The GPA is part of representing the players for college consideration.

Unfortunately or fortunately 🤷‍♀️
Regardless of athletic ability,
GPA scores become very relevant to college coaches who know low scores mean possibility of being academically ineligible and or not qualifying to be able to get in their college.

College coaches need to find players who are going to be able to handle academic rigors.

Do I think that travel ball coaches have the responsibility of explaining everything about getting into college? No.( example-too much individual detail of cost per college.)
However if a travel ball coach is going to use the words 'you can get a scholarship'. Then imo they have more responsibility in explaining the basic guidelines of how to do that.

From that do know there are some travel ball teams that hold an academic standard to be on their team. In this way the travel ball coaches are able to establish ongoing connections with colleges because those college coaches will find academically eligible players on those teams.
^^^
It helps boost the showcasing ability of the travel ball team.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I'm not one to give parenting advice, but saying "no softball unless you have good grades" sure worked out well. :p

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not one to give parenting advice, but saying "no softball unless you have good grades" sure worked out well. :p
If you replaced "no softball" with "no exercising" would it still sound like a good idea?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101