Academic Eligibility on your TRAVEL team~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
High school has academic eligibility requirements.
College has academic eligibility requirements.

Does your travel ball team have academic requirements to be eligible to play?
If the travel team does have an academic requirement what GPA is it?

Do you think travel ball teams should have an academic GPA requirement?!
At all ages?
Perhaps at a certain age this should be implemented?
Would you prefer your daughter play on a team that has this requirement?
Or No, not necessary?

Jun 8, 2016
High school has academic eligibility requirements.
College has academic eligibility requirements.

Does your travel ball team have academic requirements to be eligible to play?
If the travel team does have an academic requirement what GPA is it?

Do you think travel ball teams should have an academic GPA requirement?!
At all ages?
Perhaps at a certain age this should be implemented?
Would you prefer your daughter play on a team that has this requirement?
Or No, not necessary?
In the TB context that is the parent's responsibility IMO. I am also not sure taking away a healthy activity, which a kid enjoys, is the best course of action. Taking away the cellphone for a month would probably be a better punishment for bad grades if a punishment needs to be handed out (vs setting up a reward system..)

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
Kids struggle academically for many reasons. Sometimes softball might be the best thing they have going on. As their (non-school) coach I’m not gonna use info that’s none of my business to determine how when and where they play/ bat for me. My parents know I will respect decisions they make if their kid needs to reprioritize their time (I certainly prefer they plan ahead and prepare to not need to miss a practice to do school work but when it happens I am pretty darn forgiving- doing otherwise just invites lying and promotes distorted values). I certainly tell them that if they want to play in college (some do, some don’t) then one of the first questions every potential college coach will ask about is academic performance. Their parents are responsible for deciding if academic performance needs to change their level of travel participation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If your DD is playing 16u softball and she is aspiring to play college ball you want to be on a team where the other players are like minded for the most part. Therefore grades are important and need to be monitored by the HC for everyone's benefit. As far as an exact GPA requirement or punitive action for not maintaining it, that is a tough one to deal with. Players are required to sent the HC their official HS transcripts every semester. If a player's GPA is below 3.0 or has dropped significantly then the HC will speak with the player and her parents to find out what's going on, explain the importance of her GPA and help figure out a plan to raise it.
TBS, there are many good JUCOs to play ball at and more than a few players have been recruited out of JC.

Feb 15, 2017
If your DD is playing 16u softball and she is aspiring to play college ball you want to be on a team where the other players are like minded for the most part. Therefore grades are important and need to be monitored by the HC for everyone's benefit. As far as an exact GPA requirement or punitive action for not maintaining it, that is a tough one to deal with. Players are required to sent the HC their official HS transcripts every semester. If a player's GPA is below 3.0 or has dropped significantly then the HC will speak with the player and her parents to find out what's going on, explain the importance of her GPA and help figure out a plan to raise it.
TBS, there are many good JUCOs to play ball at and more than a few players have been recruited out of JC.
This.

Florida Southwestern College is in the hunt for their third straight NJCAA Divison 1 championship for the threepeat, and they do a great job of getting kids who don't have the grades to get into D1 programs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Players are required to sent the HC their official HS transcripts every semester. If a player's GPA is below 3.0 or has dropped significantly then the HC will speak with the player and her parents to find out what's going on, explain the importance of her GPA and help figure out a plan to raise it.
I like how you said all of this as if it were universal..😂

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
Pretty sure the United States is one of the few countries that mixes athletics and academics - not sure it's a great model.

Jul 5, 2016
I don't think travel teams should worry about grades unless it is to make sure that the kids know that they need a certain GPA to play in high school and college. They hear enough about grades from other people - parents, teachers, colleges, high school coaches - they don't need and won't benefit from hearing about it from yet another source.

May 20, 2016
I agree it is up to the parents not the org. Personally though i would not let my daughter play if she wasn't doing well in school. I tell mine that if she doesn't hold at minimum a 3.5 no way she is playing ball. I will say i am lucky though and kid works hard. 4.0+ with 3 AP classes as a junior and taking 3 college courses in her senior year of HS. Education>little yellow ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12