Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Interesting observation since the look back rule is essentially forgotten once you get past 10 or 12u and the baserunning shenanigans are put on the shelf. Not sure why HS age travel ball coaches would care.
You obviously have never had to deal with our HS umpire crew! We have this one field ump that that's his "thing" and he LOVES to ring girls up for it! Of course I know it's a rule.....in the rule book, but he seemed like he loved to start fights with it!

Oct 14, 2016
Is the journey about the coach or the player?

Following this entire post its interesting to read people defending high school ball coaches...and then others travel ball.
Never read this topic being about tb or hs ball coaches being better or worse.

What i see... topic is
Within high schools the different situations.
Some (perhaps few?) are lousy.

To the point of CoachYoda post
Why the heck have to go through reprogramming that can cause added unnecessary conflict?

I used the word -reprogram- because it was the word used by the poster I quoted. I don't really reprogram anything. I was merely defending those wonderful high school coaches, many of which, are members of this forum.

There is a larger than average feeling on this forum that TB is greater than HS. Again, there are some phenomenal coaches here, both TB and HS. But, I don't feel that TB is any better than a typical HS program. I say typical, because the examples of poor programs given here, are not really that prevalent. Yes, there are HS coaches that, coach for the stipend, or coach because they are told to, or coach because no one else would. There are the same amount in TB except, there are also coaches who do it for the prestige, or trophy closet.

I think I feel like many coaches when I say, I don't want my TB players playing TB during the HS season. Not because they aren't getting in good work, or learning, but I don't want them injured. It is a weird situation, in that, if TB 'Sally' jams a finger in a TB game, I get upset. Whereas, I am sure, if TB 'Sally' jams her finger in a HS game, her TB coach would likely be upset. It is all about protecting our players, as any coach does.

Lastly, I felt I needed to defend HS programs. There is a silent, unspoken, knowing that goes with HS coaches. We can look at each other, and "know" the struggles and excitements each other faces without having to say a single word. And like my players, I felt the need to defend that camaraderie.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I used the word -reprogram- because it was the word used by the poster I quoted. I don't really reprogram anything. I was merely defending those wonderful high school coaches, many of which, are members of this forum.

There is a larger than average feeling on this forum that TB is greater than HS. Again, there are some phenomenal coaches here, both TB and HS. But, I don't feel that TB is any better than a typical HS program. I say typical, because the examples of poor programs given here, are not really that prevalent. Yes, there are HS coaches that, coach for the stipend, or coach because they are told to, or coach because no one else would. There are the same amount in TB except, there are also coaches who do it for the prestige, or trophy closet.

I think I feel like many coaches when I say, I don't want my TB players playing TB during the HS season. Not because they aren't getting in good work, or learning, but I don't want them injured. It is a weird situation, in that, if TB 'Sally' jams a finger in a TB game, I get upset. Whereas, I am sure, if TB 'Sally' jams her finger in a HS game, her TB coach would likely be upset. It is all about protecting our players, as any coach does.

Lastly, I felt I needed to defend HS programs. There is a silent, unspoken, knowing that goes with HS coaches. We can look at each other, and "know" the struggles and excitements each other faces without having to say a single word. And like my players, I felt the need to defend that camaraderie.
Can understand your supporting the efforts of hs coaches 👍
Nice to read distinguishing from typical programs!

Still those issues expose the reasons to consider how to balance player goals and
Pros/cons of hs/tb.

Mar 28, 2014
You obviously have never had to deal with our HS umpire crew! We have this one field ump that that's his "thing" and he LOVES to ring girls up for it! Of course I know it's a rule.....in the rule book, but he seemed like he loved to start fights with it!
That's crazy. I haven't seen it called since 12u. No one cares anymore.

Apr 28, 2014
Great perspective from a HS coach, thanks Yoda!
One of my friends DD didn't make varisty her freshman year (she's the same year as DD). Her father didn't talk to me at all about softball except to say that his daughter got robbed of a spot.
Next season his DD made varisty and he became my text buddy about the HS team. His daughter worked hard her freshman year and earned the spot as a sophomore. She wasn't good enough to make the team as a freshman imo but definitely deserved the spot in 10th grade. Looking back on her freshman year and trying to talk to her father it was painful. I truly believe that when emotions go up intelligence goes down. I also think 95% of these issues come from angry parents who blame others when their DD doesn't make the cut so they choose to rip the coach/program. If she gets cut yes its hard but it also provides an incredible opportunity to grow and learn. If you read about athletes that have "made it" they are riddled with stories of failure and overcoming it. Why people choose to deprive their children of that very precious opportunity is beyond me.
As far as travel coaches go our coach has been doing this for 25 years. He fully supports HS softball and only has one concern and that's over use of his pitchers as high schools tend to use 1 pitcher in our area.

May 21, 2018
Does your HS team play in the Triad HS Tournament? Typically, there are a lot of people there. Yes, most are relatives but there are others there as well.
Yes I believe we do. We are also in the Mississippi Valley Conference. I haven't attended that tournament yet, but from what I've seen so far Triad has a good sports program.

I'm in Waterloo by the way.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So, some of my old coaching buddies are Coach Vogle and Coach Hopper. I still communicate with Coach Hopper's son.

Nov 18, 2013
Interesting observation since the look back rule is essentially forgotten once you get past 10 or 12u and the baserunning shenanigans are put on the shelf. Not sure why HS age travel ball coaches would care.

i take it you don’t watch much college ball if you think the base running shenanigans stop at 12U.

Nov 18, 2013
Great perspective from a HS coach, thanks Yoda!
One of my friends DD didn't make varisty her freshman year (she's the same year as DD). Her father didn't talk to me at all about softball except to say that his daughter got robbed of a spot.
Next season his DD made varisty and he became my text buddy about the HS team. His daughter worked hard her freshman year and earned the spot as a sophomore. She wasn't good enough to make the team as a freshman imo but definitely deserved the spot in 10th grade. Looking back on her freshman year and trying to talk to her father it was painful. I truly believe that when emotions go up intelligence goes down. I also think 95% of these issues come from angry parents who blame others when their DD doesn't make the cut so they choose to rip the coach/program. If she gets cut yes its hard but it also provides an incredible opportunity to grow and learn. If you read about athletes that have "made it" they are riddled with stories of failure and overcoming it. Why people choose to deprive their children of that very precious opportunity is beyond me.
As far as travel coaches go our coach has been doing this for 25 years. He fully supports HS softball and only has one concern and that's over use of his pitchers as high schools tend to use 1 pitcher in our area.

9th grade seems to be the most difficult time for travel parents. They’re not used to teams of more than 12 players or having teammates with 3-4 more years of experience. Their DD’s have been starters since 10U so of course they’ll start on varsity. If they don’t start it’s politics. Freshman parents seem to have the most trouble accepting that a senior with experience and maturity might be a better starting candidate over their freshman with more raw talent.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez