Want other coaches opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
I've got your back on this one, too. I have had parents bring up other players and I stop them then and there and remind them that they are calling about their own DD and we will keep it on track.

Jul 26, 2010
Have your meetings face to face with another adult/coach present, otherwise it's "he said she said".

I think you did the right thing, just picked the wrong medium for conversation.

-W

Oct 22, 2009
PA
yeah, if i had time, lol. This was this morning, i hadn't even finished my first cup of coffee when she bombarded me. The AD was called within minutes of me hanging up on her. I'm not worried though. I understnad she called the AD a foul name, so she isn't winning any points.

Why is it that parents think this kind of behavior is acceptable? What you did was commendable in keeping the focus on her DD and not any other players.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Well, i had my face to face this am, with the mother and the AD. The woman is flat out nuts. She again started saying her daughter was better then another player on the team. She was really ripping the other girl. I again told her i would answer questions only about her daughter and no other players. So she settled down and ask specfic questions in regards to her kid. ( you know the drill, playing time, only plays one position etc) So she goes off again, wanting to know why her kid doesn't pitch?? I almost fell off my chair. I said, she pitches? (girls is a Soph.) i even coached her in rec ball for a couple years and never knew she pitched. So thats what i said... I hope you are sitting down for this. The mother says, she pitched once in a 10U rec game and did ok she should have the chance and thinks she could beat the #1 out right now. I didn't even crack a smile, i just flat out said no, she will not pitch, nor will she have the chance to compete agaisnt any of our pitchers at this point in the season. we are getting ready to start playoffs. However, i will give her the chance next year, that the start of every season, every position is open if the players want to compete. She went bonkers and told the AD she is going to the school board next!?!? At that point i told her i would not stand for any more of her aggressive behavior and gave her an official Verbal warning and the next step she would be banned from the softball complex and games. She told me to go F myself. the AD goes, meeting over. By the end of the day you will receive official notification your are banned from not only the softball complex but all athletic events for 1 year. She told him to F off too as she was walking out the door. I just told my wife, through all of this, i have thick skin and can take it, but theis womans poor kid now has to face her teamates as well as the coaching staff today!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I know you will take the high road with this player, but please remember that none of us can pick our parents! Hopefully she will get through this relatively unscathed.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Sounds like the situation has been handled to the best of your ability. I only hope that the 'crazy mommies' DD is not looked at as being responsible in any way for her mother's actions. The coaches and players should not treat her any differently, and continue on as though it never happened. I don't know the girl, but it could be more comfortable for her not to have her mother around. May even be good for her.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
the kid isn't a bad kid. She is good in school and has a great sense of humor. But with softball, she is average at best. She isn't a competitor. She is happy to be along and has no fire in her belly. But i agree with all of you, the mother doesn't get it and its a shame for the girl. My daughter just text me and ask why i was in school this morning, she doesn't even know anything is going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck