Want other coaches opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
(talking about HS Ball) I feel a parent has the right to ask questions about their child, as long as its done at the right place and time. I do not feel a parent has the right to speak about other players in a negative fashion. Recently a parent spoke with me (phone) and it started out asking basic questions of her child, within minutes, it went down hill in an agressive fashion. I ended the conversation. She instantly called back. I explained to her, if she had specific questions about her daughter, i'd answer them, however, her opinion about other players was off limits.She couldn't do that and went right back into it. Because i couldn't get a word in, i hung up.She has reported me to the HS Athletic director and i have to go in and explain myself.
So my question is, do you coaches feel the same way i do in regards to this?

Feb 3, 2011
You're 100% correct, Coach. I'm the same way with my rec team, no matter who the complainer is. Only had 1 *ahem* so far.

Even if another parent thinks another child (not their own) should be getting more time at a certain position, I don't want to hear it from that source.

Mar 13, 2010
A bit late now, but I would have alertered your direct supervisor by email after you hung up and then followed it up the next day. CYA.

I agree with you 100%. No parent should be calling you to complain about another player. It's not acceptable.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You are justified in your actions. Under no circumstances does she have the right to bring up another child. You have the responsibility to communicate with parents only in regards to their child. Surely, your AD will agree with this. I know mine would.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
A bit late now, but I would have alertered your direct supervisor by email after you hung up and then followed it up the next day. CYA. I agree with you 100%. No parent should be calling you to complain about another player. It's not acceptable.

yeah, if i had time, lol. This was this morning, i hadn't even finished my first cup of coffee when she bombarded me. The AD was called within minutes of me hanging up on her. I'm not worried though. I understnad she called the AD a foul name, so she isn't winning any points.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Obviously some parents don't understand how they are hurting their daughters.

I have seen kids cut at the next tryout partly because no one wants to put up with their parent for the whole year. If it comes down to 2 kids who are similar in ability and one has idiot parents, its the other kid who makes the team.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I used to have a parent who would get drunk and call me to discuss their daughter. I had to hear how she was going to pitch for Team USA someday. Kid was a nice kid and a good second baseman. Just wasn't pitcher material. Just cover all of your bases. make sure you are letting someone at the school know about your conversations. Tell the parent that they can request a meeting with you and the AD anytime, but the discussion must be about their daughter only. Good luck. One bad apple can spoil the bunch.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She has reported me to the HS Athletic director and i have to go in and explain myself.
So my question is, do you coaches feel the same way i do in regards to this?

Yes.

The only exception would be if the parent was complaining about something that might physically or emotionally harm another player. But, if it is the usual, "Suzie is a terrible player, and my DD is wonderful," then I totally agree it is inappropriate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck