Video of Me Using a Heavy Bag for Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I thought I'd post this separately from my other hitting post since it would have been buried in the other post. The video is of me practicing stopping at contact by hitting against a heavy bag using a tee ball bat. The idea, as I posted before, is to work on reviewing contact positioning, as well as working on proper balance at contact. I'm not attempting to swing through the bag, as that would be damaging to my wrists and other joints.

In this video I'm working on a two step drill: 1) Load then 2) swing into contact.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aorrpTNVGGA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aorrpTNVGGA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

May 12, 2008
Couple of quick things. Move your contact point deeper and keep your lead arm closer to your chest longer. Also notice your back foot is spinning? Should be rolling up rather than spinning. Also, you need to address the lack of an athletic posture rather than standing up. You need to get the lead arm better in the swing plane. I'm sure I'll notice more later. Good for you though lefty. Way to get in there and work at it.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Thanks for the advice Mark. Actually though, the post is more for showing what I mean by using a heavy bag as part of a well-rounding hitting training regimen.

May 12, 2008
Stole this from a very smart guy on another site. Thought you, and everyone else, should hear this:

"...1) the contact point being to much "out front" of the plate and 2) the idea that the body is to be in some type of "pushing" position at contact...where the muscles of the upper body/arms are still actively applying force through contact as opposed to a position better showing the body's momentum being fully transferred to the bat."

These two items are related. Understand this and people will understand why there should be little to no shock to the joints at contact if you are doing it right. Which is why you should be able to do it all day long without any effect besides blisters. Not that I wouldn't rather be hitting live bp but the point here is to understand what this tells us about a good swing.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Hitting a bag.

This kind of thing sets hitting instruction back 30 years. It reminds me of the old hitting the semi deflated basketball drills that some still do today. The biggest risk to doing this kind of thing is that it can cause injury to the wrist.

It may work for a fully grown adult but for a young player who isnt fully developed in strength and stability this is one thing I cannot endorse as good training method for teaching a swing. Too much opportunity to cause injury to the wrist in a young hitter.

Dana

May 12, 2008
This kind of thing sets hitting instruction back 30 years. It reminds me of the old hitting the semi deflated basketball drills that some still do today. The biggest risk to doing this kind of thing is that it can cause injury to the wrist.

It may work for a fully grown adult but for a young player who isnt fully developed in strength and stability this is one thing I cannot endorse as good training method for teaching a swing. Too much opportunity to cause injury to the wrist in a young hitter.

Dana

Next time I'm in Dallas let's get together and I'll explain how the two are completely different. Since I completely agree with you about deflated balls that should pique your curiosity.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06