Video of Me Using a Heavy Bag for Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Thanks Dana that is what I told Mark on a different post. Bustos as strong as she is doesn't even approve of this drill.

And for the same reason your curiosity should already be piqued. I really don't care if any of you ever use a heavy bag. It's not that important a tool. What I'd like you to understand is the point it makes about momemtum already having been transferred into whip as opposed to still pushing the bat at contact.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Mark H says:
What I'd like you to understand is the point it makes about momemtum already having been transferred into whip as opposed to still pushing the bat at contact.

This is a very interesting quote. I hope you will elaborate at length. It is likely related to bat path, hand path and issues like connection. I think a discussion on this could have similar benefits as the "internal rotation drill" under pitching. Especially if there were video examples. If it is something you would be interesting in tackling or pointing us to the thread in "Hitting" already dealing with this I think it would be great.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Look forward to it.

Mark,

I will look forward to it. Give me a call and let me know when you coming my way. I am a pretty busy guy right now but I will try to make time if I can.

Dana.

May 12, 2008
Mark H says:

This is a very interesting quote. I hope you will elaborate at length. It is likely related to bat path, hand path and issues like connection. I think a discussion on this could have similar benefits as the "internal rotation drill" under pitching. Especially if there were video examples. If it is something you would be interesting in tackling or pointing us to the thread in "Hitting" already dealing with this I think it would be great.

Here's more stolen verbiage from a real smart guy.

"...As opposed to uncocking the wrists such that the the lead forearm and bat align into the bag [contact],ie the transfer of momentum into the bathead---which is then expended into the bag."

Does that help? The above would be as opposed to still having more of an angle like 90 degrees between the lead arm forearm and the bat at contact still pushing the bat at contact. If you understand whip/wrist uncocking this will begin to make sense. Do it a lot with force the way FJ is doing it, then yeah, that's a problem.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
"...1) the contact point being to[o] much "out front" of the plate and 2) the idea that the body is to be in some type of "pushing" position at contact...where the muscles of the upper body/arms are still actively applying force through contact as opposed to a position better showing the body's momentum being fully transferred to the bat."

Not knowing the context of the above quote it's hard for me to equate it to my video. Is the person writing in regards to using a heavy bag, or a ball?

" If you understand whip/wrist uncocking this will begin to make sense. Do it a lot with force the way FJ[RGerry?] is doing it, then yeah, that's a problem."

I don't think I was hitting the bag with alot of force since I was stopping my rotation upon contact. I should point out this type of heave bat has a water filled core which I had filled with about 2 gallons of water, so the entire bag weight maybe 25 pounds.

May 12, 2008
"...1) the contact point being to[o] much "out front" of the plate and 2) the idea that the body is to be in some type of "pushing" position at contact...where the muscles of the upper body/arms are still actively applying force through contact as opposed to a position better showing the body's momentum being fully transferred to the bat."

Not knowing the context of the above quote it's hard for me to equate it to my video. Is the person writing in regards to using a heavy bag, or a ball?.

Think of it as in context to the clip of you hitting the bag.

"..." If you understand whip/wrist uncocking this will begin to make sense. Do it a lot with force the way FJ[RGerry?] is doing it, then yeah, that's a problem."

I don't think I was hitting the bag with alot of force since I was stopping my rotation upon contact. I should point out this type of heave bat has a water filled core which I had filled with about 2 gallons of water, so the entire bag weight maybe 25 pounds.

Good that you weren't hitting it with a lot of force because you are demonstrating hitting it incorrectly. Is any of this becoming more clear yet. I wish I was standing there with you to demonstrate. Contact should come near the end of whip/just before the bat and the lead arm forearm become parallel.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I think I understand what you're describing - I was rereading a couple of Mark Epstein's articles and watched his 1-2-3 drill DVD last night. I could see in the pictures he includes with major league baseball players at contact their lead arm and bat are much closer to being in a straight line. In my video I'm not bringing the bat through enough on contact so my lead arm and bat are closer to 90 degrees. I've been really concentrating on learning his method with back elbow in tight and lead elbow up at contact that I didn't notice the wrist. I'm continuing to learn his method, as I improve I'll post another video using the heavy bag as long as it matches (as I understand you) what you are describing.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877