USSSA allows leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Adam Folkard has similar footwork which leads me to believe it’s in compliance of mens international rules. Replant is still illegal in international right? Idk if Matsuda replants… @Hillhouse?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
The confusing part about questioning a "replant" is that some people think they actually push off again from that spot. They don't. Pitchers that replant land on their back foot, then throw followed by their drag. But to hear the way some people explain it, they jump, land, then jump again then throw. That's just silly. There is no question that a crow hopper lands after the jump then throws from a much closer distance. There is also confusion that this is "legal" in men's softball. It's not really legal. But the men don't care. The feeling amongst most male fastpitch players is, the ball has to cross the plate regardless of how it's delivered. So without the pressure from the opposition, or the parents sitting in the crowd, and the fact that both team's pitchers throw with a similar motion: umpires just call the game as they see it and don't care about illegal pitches and thats the way it's preferred. By EVERYONE.

Video is hard to do justice to Folkard. He is something you had to see in person. He was the hardest thrower I've ever seen. The men's club world tournament is in Quad Cities Iowa in August, if Adam is allowed to leave Australia he'll be there. For anyone who's never seen him throw, and wants to see how the other half lives, it's worth a trip for a day or 2. It will change your entire perspective on fastpitch softball, I promise you. There is a video on YouTube of Folkard pitching in the 2009 ISF World final; Australia vs. New Zealand. Now what you must understand is every starter on that NZ team is in the HoF, this could be the greatest team ever assembled in men's fastpitch softball. Folkard mowed them down like they were babies. Mike White threw a perfect game in 1996's ISF final vs. Canada but, he only had about 8 K's. White was a groundball pitcher with an amazing change up. Folkard was pure dominance. And I've been on the losing end twice to Folkard teams in World finals. While it sucks to lose, seeing what he did with a ball was impressive to watch.

The reality is, USA and USSSA making this rule change is pointless until NCAA does it. When NCAA does it, there will be a 2 year grace period before it becomes officially legal. (All non-safety related rule changes require a 2 year window). To me, this is no different than organizations having different rules regarding start back and step back. Why not just uniform the rules across the board for the sake of the kids?? Lets get some of these men who are living vicariously through young girls that run these organizations to put their egos aside and just do what's right. There's no logical reason why there's multiple rules. NONE.

And for the record, I'm in favor of letting the pitcher do ANYTHING they want. Everything in the last 40 years has gone towards the hitters: moving the rubber back to 43 feet, smaller strike zones, slapping, polycore center balls and composite bats. If you want pitchers to stop leaping, crow hopping, or whatever that's fine, then go back to using wooden bats and balls that soften up a little with a cork center.

Dec 11, 2010
Thank you Bill.

Additional question: Do you think relaxing the pitching rules would keep more girls in the game of pitching? It seems like my daughter was bothered and a little embarrassed when teams complained about her feet. I think it was a bigger deal to her than I ever realized. Is this common in your experience?

May 17, 2012
Everything in the last 40 years has gone towards the hitters: moving the rubber back to 43 feet, smaller strike zones, slapping, polycore center balls and composite bats.

Every time a position player complains about a pitcher doing "X", I think of the above.

Aug 21, 2008
Thank you Bill.

Additional question: Do you think relaxing the pitching rules would keep more girls in the game of pitching? It seems like my daughter was bothered and a little embarrassed when teams complained about her feet. I think it was a bigger deal to her than I ever realized. Is this common in your experience?
I think relaxing the rules will keep more girls pitching and encourage more to do it. No question. It might also encourage more women's leagues for after college.

That said, it does take a special breed of person to not let things get to them. It takes a mentally tough person to pitch, for sure. If a pitcher lets things being said get to them, it will never end. I'm sorry your kid struggled with that.

Jun 19, 2016
The leaping might take some practice. My DD lost several inches off her stride when she tried to leap. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877