Pros and Cons of New Pitching Rule on Leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
By now you’ve no doubt heard about a very significant change to the fastpitch softball pitching rules in the NCAA, NFHS, and various travel ball level organizations. The rule involves leaping, i.e., having both feet in the air during the stride-out portion of the pitch. Up until this rule change leaping was illegal, which meant […]

More...

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I don’t believe the rule state leaping is legal……..it states they may disengage from the ground. A big difference from a pitcher that is an inch or so off the ground. Much like we seen called in the NCAA World Series, and the pitcher you had in your own post. I am thinking that one may still get called.
A leap is pushing off the pitching plate and going airborne. See your own picture.
When a coach see this type of pitcher, they are going to be complaining and trying to get in her head. Is she really gaining any advantage? Not really except she maybe able to get a little closer to the plate, as you stated about the Crow hop.

Been umpiring for 30 years, and still have never seen is any rulebook, to only enforce if you think they are gaining an advantage.
Does stepping out of the batter box just a little bit give a batter an advantage? No it doesn’t but we call it when we see it!!

1694223147871.png1694223147871.png

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t believe the rule state leaping is legal……..it states they may disengage from the ground. A big difference from a pitcher that is an inch or so off the ground. Much like we seen called in the NCAA World Series, and the pitcher you had in your own post. I am thinking that one may still get called.
called for what?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A leap is pushing off the pitching plate and going airborne. See your own picture.
When a coach see this type of pitcher, they are going to be complaining and trying to get in her head. Is she really gaining any advantage? Not really except she maybe able to get a little closer to the plate, as you stated about the Crow hop.

Been umpiring for 30 years, and still have never seen is any rulebook, to only enforce if you think they are gaining an advantage.
Does stepping out of the batter box just a little bit give a batter an advantage? No it doesn’t but we call it when we see it!!

View attachment 28707View attachment 28707
What do you think disengaging from the ground means? Are you saying you will enforce a rule of how high the pitcher gets? Where is that rule? 1” off is ok but 6” is an illegal pitch?

You haven’t seen it in any rule book. It might be time to buy an updated rule book. Do you still think that the look back rule requires a pitcher to actually look at the runner?

Dec 11, 2010
Because it use to be illegal

I mean it ought to be illegal

Leaping is legal but she can‘t do that

Thats the rule

No, I can’t explain the rule

Tell your assistant that if she comes over here with the rule book she will be ejected

Coach you are restricted to the dugout.

Dec 11, 2010
They made it legal.

TO PREVENT THIS EXACT NONSENSE.

Yet it is still some moral and ethical dilemma for some people.

May 17, 2012
In a sport where "taking an advantage" is part of its DNA, it's strange that women's fastpitch pitching rules receive so much scrutiny.

The pitcher throws it and the batter hits it. Stop making excuses.

Dec 6, 2019
I definitely agree with this part. Seemed like you were saying the opposite in the first paragraph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles