uppercut swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

It is not something to brag about - being able to explain to a player to just swing with an uppercut....

The answer to that question should be obvious.

P.S. The answer is because I can explain the first one to a kid, but not the second. Oftentimes, I question whether people who say things like "learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm" have ever actually worked with hitters or had any direct success with them due to their instruction (and not in spite of their instruction).

R

RayR

But I shall indulge you since it is the Holiday season and you are phishing for new material for the next dvd....

I have used a pvc pole, a broom stick, two tees (set up a certain way), a rope, a pad (like a heavy bag) with taped lines to explain things to hitter....really not that hard unless you lack imagination....

The answer to that question should be obvious.

P.S. The answer is because I can explain the first one to a kid, but not the second. Oftentimes, I question whether people who say things like "learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm" have ever actually worked with hitters or had any direct success with them due to their instruction (and not in spite of their instruction).

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
2012NLCS_XMO_Posey.gif

I would encourage all of the lurkers out there to teach their kids to do what the best hitters in the world actually do, not what some anonymous person on the internet tells them to do.

CO,

I know what the best in the world work on. I know what they do to create their swings you just set behind a screen and watch. Yes, Posey and other MLB hitters barrel gets below the hands. Yes it is making contact with a slight upper ward path. I absolutely agree with this. It is not a matter of seeing what they look like while hitting in a game. It is about how to recreate that swing.

The barrel is always going to get below the hands. If I practice it I will create a long swing. A swing that is to steep upwards.

They practice by staying on top. They practice by swinging down to the ball. They practice with being as short to the ball as possible with the barrel. The reason they do, is because they know what will happen in a game.

I know that the swing in the game looks different.

Especially if that advice is so obviously contradicted by what your own eyes show you.

Trust your eyes, not the "experts."

P.S. The alternative that HYP is proposing is to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

thumbnailImage

Again, O'Leary doesn't know what has created the swings he sees. He has no idea.

You do not need to trust me. I could careless. How about trusting the MLB guys who talk about hitting.

David Wright, "I want to feel like my shoulders finish where they started".

Ichiro, "I don't want to show my chest to the pitcher to early".

Pujols, "I try to keep the barrel up as long as possible".

Braun, "Hammer down to the ball"

It is a feel or a cue and a way to practice. If you practice they way O'Leary says you will fail. You must practice with being as short to the ball as possible with the barrel.

Oct 12, 2009
Well, obviously you are trying to be completely dishonest with this quote.....

Covering up your lack of knowledge with personal attacks....lol....

LOL.

What works with kids and most hitters are high-level cues, not "learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm."

Shoot, I'm not even sure what that means.

I have tried that with minor leaguers and their eyes always glaze over.

What works is to show them a clip of a hitter doing something and tell them, "See that? Do that." If they are really gifted, their body will figure out how to do that movement without any conscious thought.

A couple of years ago I worked with a AA guy with a problem with lunging. I got into the anatomy and stuff and he acted like he understood what I was saying. But I talked to him a few months later I talked to him again and it turned out that he didn't really get what I was saying. He just didn't want to look dumb.

What was interesting was that his AVG still went up 100 points and his OPS went up 150 points because, when we were talking, I also showed him some clips of what we were going for. Even though his conscious brain didn't understand what I was talking about, he movement brain still got what I was saying and his movement pattern improved significantly.

Oct 12, 2009
They practice by staying on top. They practice by swinging down to the ball. They practice with being as short to the ball as possible with the barrel. The reason they do, is because they know what will happen in a game.

They may practice it, but they don't do it.

Even in practice.

In practice, the barrel still drops below their hands.

I'm just saying we should cut out the middle man and practice what the best hitters actually do (in games and practice).

R

RayR

Here is a pro working on....hmmmm.....upper cutting....no.....working down to the ball....yes

Wrightbothand_zpsc8bff2a5.gif

Oct 12, 2009
Here is a pro working on....hmmmm.....upper cutting....no.....working down to the ball....yes

Wrightbothand_zpsc8bff2a5.gif

He works on working down on the ball yet he uppercuts.

Notice how he keeps his front elbow up.

Let's just cut out the middle man and teach what they do.

R

RayR

You got stuck on the words I typed and have a problem letting go, huh?

Here is a still for you...

Contact2.jpg

another one on an outside pitch

Contact1.jpg

A lefty in case you still don't get it...

Contact4.jpg

LOL.

What works with kids and most hitters are high-level cues, not "learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm."

Shoot, I'm not even sure what that means.

I have tried that with minor leaguers and their eyes always glaze over.

What works is to show them a clip of a hitter doing something and tell them, "See that? Do that." If they are really gifted, their body will figure out how to do that movement without any conscious thought.

A couple of years ago I worked with a AA guy with a problem with lunging. I got into the anatomy and stuff and he acted like he understood what I was saying. But I talked to him a few months later I talked to him again and it turned out that he didn't really get what I was saying. He just didn't want to look dumb.

What was interesting was that his AVG still went up 100 points and his OPS went up 150 points because, when we were talking, I also showed him some clips of what we were going for. Even though his conscious brain didn't understand what I was talking about, he movement brain still got what I was saying and his movement pattern improved significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors