uppercut swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I think a decent two tee drill is setting the front tee with the ball at the top of the ball of the back tee (tees set up about same height and distance apart as above discribed drill). Set tees up with the back tee at contact and front tee approx. 14 inch in front. Hit both balls (back tee first)for a slightly upward path that isn't too much upper cut or isn't flat.
View attachment 2904

If you could take that Nike Swoosh and angle it so the straight part is headed slightly down (so rotate it to the right). That is how you should practice hitting off of a tee. Down to behind the ball.

Oct 12, 2009
He is so wrong.

2012NLCS_XMO_Posey.gif

Does the barrel fall below his hands and the ball?

Does he hit the ball when the barrel is on its way back up from the lowest point of its arc?

It should be obvious to everyone that it does.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
CO,

How do you spew nonsense. Do you know how he trains and what he does when hitting off of a tee? You are just sitting behind a computer screen and guessing. Get out a learn man. Come on.

Do you have any idea what drills are for?

Of course in a game swing the barrel drops below. Drills are for training. If you train with uppercutting on a tee you will be screwed in the box on game day.

Attack with the barrel down to the ball on a tee. Attack the top half off of a tee. Take the shortest barrel path down to the ball. I am not saying take the hands down to the ball. I am saying take the barrel down to the ball. Keep the hands up and keep the barrel above the hands as long as possible.

I am telling you lurkers, parents and such. Do not listen to what CO is saying. If you practice off of a tee with taking a slight uppercut swing. You will create a long swing. You will dump and lose the barrel. You will not be successful in game situations.

2012NLCS_XMO_Posey.gif

I would encourage all of the lurkers out there to teach their kids to do what the best hitters in the world actually do, not what some anonymous person on the internet tells them to do.

Especially if that advice is so obviously contradicted by what your own eyes show you.

Trust your eyes, not the "experts."

P.S. The alternative that HYP is proposing is to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

thumbnailImage

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
2012NLCS_XMO_Posey.gif

Does the barrel fall below his hands and the ball?

Does he hit the ball when the barrel is on its way back up from the lowest point of its arc?

It should be obvious to everyone that it does.

Yes he does. The barrel gets below and is hitting on it's way back up. No argument. The problem is you have no idea how that swing was created.

Oct 12, 2009
Of course in a game swing the barrel drops below. Drills are for training. If you train with uppercutting on a tee you will be screwed in the box on game day.

Sorry, but your knowledge of the principles of motor learning is severely lacking.

You will get good at what you practice.

If you practice chopping down on the ball, you will get good at chopping down on the ball.

The only way to practice hitting the ball with a slight uppercut is to practice hitting the ball with a slight uppercut.

P.S. Fortunately, it's extremely hard to hit the ball, and still get it up in the air, while hitting it with a slight uppercut (which is why balls that go up in the air are so rare in demos of the conventional two tee drill). In most cases, people who practice not hitting with a slight uppercut still hit the ball with a slight uppercut.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
I would like to see the Whole Posey clip. Do you know what the result of this swing was?

I think this was the single to LF in Game 3 of the NLCS.

If someone knows the URL for the original source file, I'd appreciate knowing where you found the clip.

I was at the game and I think have this swing, but from another angle.

R

RayR

Why would you practice hitting with a slight uppercut?

Why would you not just learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm?

Sorry, but your knowledge of the principles of motor learning is severely lacking.

You will get good at what you practice.

If you practice chopping down on the ball, you will get good at chopping down on the ball.

The only way to practice hitting the ball with a slight uppercut is to practice hitting the ball with a slight uppercut.

P.S. Fortunately, it's extremely hard to hit the ball, and still get it up in the air, while hitting it with a slight uppercut (which is why balls that go up in the air are so rare in demos of the two tee drill). In most cases, people who practice not hitting with a slight uppercut still hit the ball with a slight uppercut.

Oct 12, 2009
Yes he does. The barrel gets below and is hitting on it's way back up. No argument. The problem is you have no idea how that swing was created.

2012NLCS_XMO_Posey.gif

LOL.

We have two options when it comes to creating this swing.

1. Practice this swing.

2. Practice a completely different swing.

I don't know about you, but I'm going with Option 1.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Why would you practice hitting with a slight uppercut?

Why would you not just learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm?

The answer to that question should be obvious.

P.S. The answer is because I can explain the first one to a kid, but not the second. Oftentimes, I question whether people who say things like "learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm" have ever actually worked with hitters or had any direct success with them due to their instruction (and not in spite of their instruction).

R

RayR

Well, obviously you are trying to be completely dishonest with this quote.....

Covering up your lack of knowledge with personal attacks....lol....

The answer to that question should be obvious.

P.S. The answer is because I can explain the first one to a kid, but not the second. Oftentimes, I question whether people who say things like "learn to move the barrel in a plane around the axis of the hands and front forearm" have ever actually worked with hitters or had any direct success with them due to their instruction (and not in spite of their instruction).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors