Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I don't think he meant, literally, absolutely vertical. I think he means that turning the barrel is moving the barrel from relatively upright, above the head, to a more horizontal or flat position behind the back. At least that's how I interpret what he stated.

I'm surprised at that. I thought the "turn the barrel" advocates were talking about the barrel arcing from above the head, toward the catcher.

What pstein describes is; IMO simply what Ted Williams called, "flattening the bat." It moves toward a relatively horizontal position as the back elbow drops. If what pstein describes is what other advocates mean, then, in my terms that is just flattening, and/or preparing to throw the barrel. The throw comes after the flattening.

Do you see how when you say the throw comes after the flattening, that it sounds like you are advocating slot, then swing or Shift then swing? The flattening is the swing. It doesn't flatten and then get thrown. It gets thrown or it doesn't.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
So it's just another word for a running start.

Methinks they are just renaming commonly-used terms so that they can charge for the thesaurus.

Please describe running start. You have tried before and failed miserably. Also, can you please explain the first time you heard of running start and from whom? Thanks

R

RayR

Do another experiment for me...

for the bottom hand you can swing two ways : Palm down at contact or backhand position at contact.

Do a couple of stop swings....do them with both kinds of bottom hand mechanics mentioned above.

One mechanic will require the shoulders to turn much less but get the barrel to same exact spot....

turning the barrel using bottom hand backhand mechanics does not create a sweep or cast or excessive shoulder rotation.....

Honest question... Help me understand how bat lag, and staying on plane all ties together with turning the barrel? Now, I know methods and technology changes constantly, but I was always taught to take my hands towards the ball when I was a kid, and to throw the bat head to avoid casting out. Please comment or post some clips that elaborate your points and how all the phases blend together. Please & Thanks, James

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Well, of course it is all a flow, not two separate moves, but you go through the flattening phase before the throw.

I've posted this before. The captions below the pictures may be hard to read, so I'll quote them.

In the book, there are two frames prior to the frame 1 that I show below.

In the first frame in the book he states "The lead foot strides eight inches toward the pitch.
In the next frame he states, "Bat is flattening out, left (rear) elbow comes in."
In frame 1 below he states, "Hips (red line) begin to open up into the pitch."
In frame 2 he states, "Bat is flatter still as hips lead way into swing."

So after the stride, and until frame 2, he is flattening the bat, or in your terms, starting to "turn the barrel."

In frame 3 below, he states, "A decision is made on the pitch; swing."

So, IMO, he flattens the bat and then swings. He can check his swing after the flatten, or he can go. If he goes, it is a flow. There is no pause between flatten and swing. You are deciding on the pitch as you flatten, and if your decision is go, there is no stopping the flow. You go.

hips-top.jpg

Bold, No You Don't. Jim, if I am moving the barrel in an arc and that arc is down past my deltoid. Which direction in the arc is the barrel moving? Now, when we get to the spot in the swing that you say is the throw. What direction is the barrel moving in the arc?

It is always moving in the same direction. It is an arc or lets say elliptical. So, there is no flattening phase and then a throwing phase. It is just throw or flatten but there is no redirection of the barrel. The barrel is moving in the arc.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Per your definition of turning the barrel...

...Brett CLEARLY didn't turn the barrel.

He started with the barrel flat and turned it from there.

P.S. This is the problem with your ideas about the swing. You say that people do things that they don't.

CO,

Your problem is you do not listen. You think you know everything. The fact of the matter is you are in so far over your head and you do not know it. Your website says it all. "I have been at this for 7 years". Like that gives you credibility. Come on man. I have been at it for 23 and played for 15 years. So does that give me more credibility then you? That shouldn't but the fact that what you spew is just nonsense should give just about everyone more credibility then you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877