Turning the barrel 5

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Kind of hard to work the barrel back up when your hands are at the same height as the ball.
giphy.gif

pzHbB6V.gif

Williams.gif

May 12, 2016
It is semantics your all correct! FFS just showed what Stan and that era was thinking . If you want to get semantical. Stan turns(directs) the barrel to a percieved spot in line(inside) with the ball all the while keeping his barrel above the ball and inline so he can be direct as possible. His low finish is because he was on plane for a long time(level)and was on time . The oldies planed low pitches by bending down not by extending their hands/arms. If you extend down with your arms , they will come back higher because of the momentum of your swing.

That's what I said, :). By extending your arms down to get the barrel on plane with the ball, your hands will naturally be higher which results in a much higher finish (like you said, due to momentum) ... Stan's hands are lower which means he does not have to extend down so much resulting in a flatter, lower finish. Stan's belt high fast ball follows the same path as a lot of the modern day swings on a letter high fast ball.

Love you RDB xoxo

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So is the 'level swing' thought more to where the oldie strike zone was ? Arm pits to top of the knee. And the 'swing up' mentality today is because of the strike zone that is belt to top of the shin? So with that said do fastpitch swings need to have the oldie swing plane mentality since their strike zone is basically bottom of the letters to the top of the knees? Lmk if I should start a new thread for this...

Apr 11, 2015
It is semantics your all correct! FFS just showed what Stan and that era was thinking . If you want to get semantical. Stan turns(directs) the barrel to a percieved spot in line(inside) with the ball all the while keeping his barrel above the ball and inline so he can be direct as possible. His low finish is because he was on plane for a long time(level)and was on time . The oldies planed low pitches by bending down not by extending their hands/arms. If you extend down with your arms , they will come back higher because of the momentum of your swing.
Yes, but I also believe it's good to state where/what they were bending down from or with.....
uoiBWcj.png

....so as to remove any confusion of bending at the waist as some talk about vs bending in the knees as they actually did.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles