Turning the barrel 5

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
So is the 'level swing' thought more to where the oldie strike zone was ? Arm pits to top of the knee. And the 'swing up' mentality today is because of the strike zone that is belt to top of the shin? So with that said do fastpitch swings need to have the oldie swing plane mentality since their strike zone is basically bottom of the letters to the top of the knees? Lmk if I should start a new thread for this...

That would be a good discussion... I forgot the about the oldie strike zone. With that being said.. I wouldn't want my DD to start with low hands like Stan, somewhere around the top of the strike zone would be ok. How did Stan handle the high fastball .. must of been ok, :)

Apr 11, 2015
giphy.gif

pzHbB6V.gif

Williams.gif
So in which one of these was he swinging "level" or "slightly down" vs "slightly up"? I'm asking about his barrel path, and not his hand path btw.

EDIT: Not directed at you RB, you just happened to post the clips I quoted...I know you already know the correct answer.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
So is the 'level swing' thought more to where the oldie strike zone was ? Arm pits to top of the knee. And the 'swing up' mentality today is because of the strike zone that is belt to top of the shin? So with that said do fastpitch swings need to have the oldie swing plane mentality since their strike zone is basically bottom of the letters to the top of the knees? Lmk if I should start a new thread for this...
I believe the underhand vs the overhand pitch, and the differences in their individual planes would have to be taken into consideration when making that kind of determination. Said from the guy who coaches baseball, and not really softball (although I have worked with a few FP players previously, and didn't really change my teaching at all). Just saying....

May 12, 2016
Does it really matter what the bat/barrel does after it makes contact with the ball? :confused:

Doesn't being on plane result in a desired barrel path post contact. IMO, your timing better be damn good if not worried about barrel path/plane directly following contact. Very small window to intersect the ball.. So what happens before contact will result in a desired follow through and extension IMO.

Apr 11, 2015
Doesn't being on plane result in a desired barrel path post contact. IMO, your timing better be damn good if not worried about barrel path/plane directly following contact. Very small window to intersect the ball.. So what happens before contact will result in a desired follow through and extension IMO.
Sure, but in the clip you're referencing wrt the downward extension...is his barrel coming up from below, level, or down to the ball into contact?

Do you think that where he struck the ball on the bat has anything to do with his finish? To me it looks that he didn't square the ball up all the well in that clip, and the ball hit the top of his bat...that with just that type of contact could/would explain why his bat "deflected" down after contact...and that his extension after contact in that swing was not a result of his prior barrel path before contact. Again, JMO...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles