Turning the barrel 5

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Sure, but in the clip you're referencing wrt the downward extension...is his barrel coming up from below, level, or down to the ball into contact?

Do you think that where he struck the ball on the bat has anything to do with his finish? To me it looks that he didn't square the ball up all the well in that clip, and the ball hit the top of his bat...that with just that type of contact could/would explain why his bat "deflected" down after contact...and that his extension after contact in that swing was not a result of his prior barrel path before contact. Again, JMO...

It's a good point you are making MB.. and that could likely be the case. But I believe in this instance if the barrel path was better (slightly up more at contact) it would have resulted in Stan squaring this ball up. This would of also resulted in a more upward follow through and finishing a little higher. And because I am not an expert, JMO, :)

To Me Stan seems to be swinging around his body, horizontal bat path with a slight upward follow through.. unlike the swing below.

miguel-cabrera-side.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I believe the underhand vs the overhand pitch, and the differences in their individual planes would have to be taken into consideration when making that kind of determination. Said from the guy who coaches baseball, and not really softball (although I have worked with a few FP players previously, and didn't really change my teaching at all). Just saying....

IMO fastpitch has a strike zone like the 'oldies'.Bottom of the letters to top of knees. In fastpitch the pitches come from a level plane and drop or level out. In baseball the pitches all come down to you and break more down or level out

But baseballs break down sharper due to throwing from on top. Fastpitch pitches breaks 'up' or hold their line longer up because they are throwing level to up.

Is this why most fastpitch players start with level shoulders or maybe a 10 degree slant down? Instinctive? Nothing like miggy or Votto with a 45 degree slant down.
Should planing be taught differently? Because of strike zone difference and the tendencies of break difference due to release points ?

I cannot think of a fastpitch player that has any kinda exaggerated slant of the shoulders .Bustos was basically level. So was Fernandez. 2 of the best. Ted and bustos had the same slant.

So would ' down to ' be even more prevalent in fastpitch?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
It's a good point you are making MB.. and that could likely be the case. But I believe in this instance if the barrel path was better (slightly up more at contact) it would have resulted in Stan squaring this ball up. This would of also resulted in a more upward follow through and finishing a little higher. And because I am not an expert, JMO, :)

To Me Stan seems to be swinging around his body, horizontal bat path with a slight upward follow through.. unlike the swing below.

miguel-cabrera-side.gif
From this post right here....I think we're on the same page wrt barrel path (I really don't worry about hand path for the most).

A guy I know coined "behind and through" vs "down an to"...Miggy above is a good example of the prior, and while not to the degree of some, Stan an above more of an example of the latter.

Apr 11, 2015
IMO fastpitch has a strike zone like the 'oldies'.Bottom of the letters to top of knees. In fastpitch the pitches come from a level plane and drop or level out. In baseball the pitches all come down to you and break more down or level out

But baseballs break down sharper due to throwing from on top. Fastpitch pitches breaks 'up' or hold their line longer up because they are throwing level to up.

Is this why most fastpitch players start with level shoulders or maybe a 10 degree slant down? Instinctive? Nothing like miggy or Votto with a 45 degree slant down.
Should planing be taught differently? Because of strike zone difference and the tendencies of break difference due to release points ?

I cannot think of a fastpitch player that has any kinda exaggerated slant of the shoulders .Bustos was basically level. So was Fernandez. 2 of the best. Ted and bustos had the same slant.

So would ' down to ' be even more prevalent in fastpitch?
Unfortunately, I'll have to defer to someone else who is far better versed on the FP game than I am.

The only thing that I can offer, is that a lot of these kind of discussions get off the rail when a simple statement of "slight upswing" somehow gets reinterpreted ("re-agendized"?) to suddenly mean some sort of huge uppercut swing for whatever reason(s). :(

So I think that whether we're talking baseball or softball, and that while one pitch might start above the shoulder, and the other below it...both will, just due to simple gravity...start a downward path of some varying degree before it reaches either hitter, and thus a "slight upward" barrel path would better match either pitch...much more so than a "level" or "slight downward" one.

JMHO once again, I have no strict evidence (besides all of the videos we've all seen forever) that I can link you to...and I'm also just too lazy nowadays to go research any longer. :)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Ted was a major student of the game. Even studied golf to learn what he could learn from the activity. My understanding is that he played with a mentality of having a "level swing" and later revised.
Oh, OK. :rolleyes:

So Ted "revised" to be just another "talking head" (I crack me up ;)), who decided to preach what video shows he never actually did in a game swing...or any other swing for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles