Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
In linear algebra, an orthogonal matrix is a square matrix with real entries whose columns and rows are orthogonal unit vectors (i.e., orthonormal vectors).

Equivalently, a matrix Q is orthogonal if its transpose is equal to its inverse:

which entails

where I is the identity matrix.

An orthogonal matrix Q is necessarily invertible (with inverse Q−1 = QT), unitary (Q−1 = Q*), and normal (Q*Q = QQ*). The determinant of any orthogonal matrix is either +1 or −1. As a linear transformation, an orthogonal matrix preserves the dot product of vectors, and therefore acts as an isometry of Euclidean space, such as a rotation or reflection. In other words, it is a unitary transformation.

The set of n × n orthogonal matrices forms a group O(n), known as the orthogonal group. The subgroup SO(n) consisting of orthogonal matrices with determinant +1 is called the special orthogonal group, and each of its elements is a special orthogonal matrix. As a linear transformation, every special orthogonal matrix acts as a rotation.

The complex analogue of an orthogonal matrix is a unitary matrix.

Young lady, i would like you to use Orthogonal forces when you turn to the ball. Young lady, did you hear me.

You should properly reference your source when directly copying and pasting from "reference" site
Orthogonal matrix From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Cannonball I'm married to a teacher and sounds like one of her lines. She says you can consider yourself a very good( Smart) teacher, but if your students don't succeed you are a failure!We have many good teachers on this site, but few have produced any students to show success to back that teaching up!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
In the Manny slow motion video it does look like he's turning the triangle but it also looks like he is shifting his weight forward then starts turning the triangle as soon as the front heel plants. It just doesn't look to me like the launching of the barrel rearward released everything.

Jun 18, 2010
Cannonball I'm married to a teacher and sounds like one of her lines. She says you can consider yourself a very good( Smart) teacher, but if your students don't succeed you are a failure!We have many good teachers on this site, but few have produced any students to show success to back that teaching up!

So who are the few that have successful students, who are the students, and how do you measure success?

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA

I don't know how to make GIFs, but here are a few of my players:

Hitter 1

Hitter 2

Hitter 3

Hitter 4

Hitter 5

Hitter 6

That's just a few from my old gig.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Considering the title of the thread, I thought this swing might be appropriate ....

2duwosm.gif

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Mountie,

What's your opinion of your students swings?

The reason I had the "aha" moment about SnF was because of the swings like the ones I posted and many I didn't post. Our teams have always hit well for average and are very successful on the state level (high school). But I kept thinking we should have more "bang." Don't get me wrong, a lot of the girls can go deep (especially the 2nd FFS post), but with as well as they make contact and as frequently as they make contact, I felt we should have bigger "big" numbers.

The SnF concept & drills designed for it seems like it would take my coaching to a new place, and as a result, my hitters to a new place. Interestingly, I have to work with a brand new set of kids this spring, because I moved and switched schools. I'm the new coach on an established staff, so the work has been a little different. I'm looking forward to evolving with these new kids and coaches. Official practice starts next week!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I enjoyed reading my post on the other site today. Then a quote of a few players that he can take credit for making him the greatest ever and only person that teaches the correct swing. There is a person that use to post on here that Hi blasts all the time, I think the latest count is over 100 plus that have went on to play college ball. Boulderdad's dd being one! He doesn't hold a candle to Hitter, Howard Carrier, but he can keep on dreaming about being the greatest ever. knightsb, since you were on Hi when he made the post didn't it seem strange to you he could only brag about a few!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877