Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The actions at barrel-transition are critical to the building of a good swing.

You can not efficiently apply torque while thrusting the top hand forward. Shoving both hands forward will only accelerate the bat length-wise ... knob first.

To apply torque, the top hand must pull in a direction orthogonal to the length of the bat.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
As obsessed with slo mo vid as I was a month or more ago...I think now that I am hitting or with someone hitting several times a week, I have become obsessed with regular speed video. IMO both have value, but I just can't currently get into trying to duplicate and feel what a hitter is doing, without seeing just how quickly it is done. I see value in slow mo, but lately it just seems a little less interesting to me.

I love full speed also, the quickness of these elite hitters, show what elite means.

Can you post your swing here redhotcoach? just kidding, please don;t.

Then everyone will compare your knowledge, to your swing, then we all must do it.
I think i will record mine, just out of curiousity.

manny slo mo

mann's Photos : Photo Keywords : manny 

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The actions at barrel-transition are critical to the building of a good swing.

You can not efficiently apply torque while thrusting the top hand forward. Shoving both hands forward will only accelerate the bat length-wise ... knob first.

To apply torque, the top hand must pull in a direction orthogonal to the length of the bat.

In linear algebra, an orthogonal matrix is a square matrix with real entries whose columns and rows are orthogonal unit vectors (i.e., orthonormal vectors).

Equivalently, a matrix Q is orthogonal if its transpose is equal to its inverse:

which entails

where I is the identity matrix.

An orthogonal matrix Q is necessarily invertible (with inverse Q−1 = QT), unitary (Q−1 = Q*), and normal (Q*Q = QQ*). The determinant of any orthogonal matrix is either +1 or −1. As a linear transformation, an orthogonal matrix preserves the dot product of vectors, and therefore acts as an isometry of Euclidean space, such as a rotation or reflection. In other words, it is a unitary transformation.

The set of n × n orthogonal matrices forms a group O(n), known as the orthogonal group. The subgroup SO(n) consisting of orthogonal matrices with determinant +1 is called the special orthogonal group, and each of its elements is a special orthogonal matrix. As a linear transformation, every special orthogonal matrix acts as a rotation.

The complex analogue of an orthogonal matrix is a unitary matrix.

Young lady, i would like you to use Orthogonal forces when you turn to the ball. Young lady, did you hear me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In linear algebra, an orthogonal matrix is a square matrix with real entries whose columns and rows are orthogonal unit vectors (i.e., orthonormal vectors).

Equivalently, a matrix Q is orthogonal if its transpose is equal to its inverse:

which entails

An orthogonal matrix Q is necessarily invertible (with inverse Q−1 = QT), unitary (Q−1 = Q*), and normal (Q*Q = QQ*). The determinant of any orthogonal matrix is either +1 or −1. As a linear transformation, an orthogonal matrix preserves the dot product of vectors, and therefore acts as an isometry of Euclidean space, such as a rotation or reflection. In other words, it is a unitary transformation.

The set of n × n orthogonal matrices forms a group O(n), known as the orthogonal group. The subgroup SO(n) consisting of orthogonal matrices with determinant +1 is called the special orthogonal group, and each of its elements is a special orthogonal matrix. As a linear transformation, every special orthogonal matrix acts as a rotation.

Young lady, i would like you to use Orthogonal forces when you turn to the ball. Young lady, did you hear me.

An instructor can get lost in their own underwear if they wish too.

In mathematics, orthogonality is the relation of two lines at right angles to one another (perpendicularity). .... Orthogonality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dec 29, 2010

which entails

LOL, I thought I was confused before, now I know I am definatley there :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
patrick.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24