Turn the barrel???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Which only works off a tee where the ball is in a predetermined location....adjustment from an early bat speed swing will make it much easier to hit a moving ball...

Nonsense. It happens in every MLB swing. Ted Williams and Barry Bonds, and Babe Ruth did it best.

The knob goes out and then around, and that simple, small change of direction causes acceleration of the barrel, and it occurs early, without the need for early wrist action. Ted said he used the wrists, but he also said it was a late snap.

The fact that his hands do not go in a straight line, produces tangential acceleration of the barrel, simply by the fact that the hands are moving, and not moving in a straight line. He adds force to this momentum with his wrists, to throw the barrel, after the knob is about at the 4th small circle. Another thing that he said he did.

willaimstop2.gif

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
jb, stubbornness is your self infliction tool of choice, huh? I'm on board with "early torque", but it takes place in the hands when the barrel goes from "tipped to flat". I will agree that it's not a deliberate rearward move. It's a controlled feel of the barrel in the hands, while the hands are seeking the proper release location.

Yes, hand torque can be and is overbaked by some. For those folks, there is no awareness of a proper hinge angle. They do not understand what "hit the inside seam" really means. Well, some of the kids do, but the instructors don't....

Yes, I agree with the bold above.

May 16, 2010
2uro50n.gif

Now look at this clip. The barrel is moving in a rearward arc yet his shoulders aren't going backwards!!!!

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm talking about the movement of the hands out of their loaded position and movement as a unit toward the ball. I'm not talking about barrel movement, or wrist action.

R

RayR

Those guys understood intuitively that it was easier to accelerate the barrel late since most of the inertia was overcome early...

Nonsense. It happens in every MLB swing. Ted Williams and Barry Bonds, and Babe Ruth did it best.

The knob goes out and then around, and that simple, small change of direction causes acceleration of the barrel, and it occurs early, without the need for early wrist action. Ted said he used the wrists, but he also said it was a late snap.

The fact that his hands do not go in a straight line, produces tangential acceleration of the barrel, simply by the fact that the hands are moving, and not moving in a straight line. He adds force to this momentum with his wrists, to throw the barrel, after the knob is about at the 4th small circle. Another thing that he said he did.

willaimstop2.gif

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
JBOOTH said"
"The fundamentals is that they;

try to keep the barrel UP (not pull it rearward),
they try to keep the hands and barrel back until their shoulders start to turn, and then they snap/throw the barrel at the ball.

They shift their weight by pushing off of the back foot, and turn the hips before they throw the barrel."

Per the bold above....I asked if you believe the shoulders launch the hands/barrel......and now we are here.....

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm talking about the movement of the hands out of their loaded position and movement as a unit toward the ball. I'm not talking about barrel movement, or wrist action.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio

This barrel turn is just the opposite of the demo above where the claim is it high level.
This out side pitch would be pulled into the first base dugout.
Circular swing
Locking the front leg out early, lead to him falling forward with the upper body
Lead arm barr
Over rotation

LMAO again
SL

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2010

I just dont see the high level MLB pattern?

Turn it
LMAO;)

SL
SL, don't be a "Dick" short name for Richard. You have been thru this muckitty muck. Your dd broke school records. No need to defend yourself or your brotherhood. Show the whole clip, and to the noobs xplain what he was trying to teach/feel in the drill. Just not your opinions/dislike on the shorten clip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00