Turn the barrel???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When I get the cage, and turn up the velocity, I will start my swing with no idea of the location of the ball, I will slot, still no idea of exact location, my barrel is dropping, but still laid back, no hand toque yet then fired with powerful wrist action.

Are you absolutely certain that there is no wrist torque taking place in your swing at the point when you have slotted and your barrel is lowering?

For others following along ... be careful when running this experiment ... you can end up getting hit in the head with the barrel ... and it can be painful.

Wearing a helmet .... and from the launch position, rather than having the barrel gripped by the fingers, instead have the barrel loosely between an opening made by pinching the ends of your thumb and middle finger. Now launch the barrel quickly!

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
For a good swing, maximum barrel acceleration is just prior to contact.

I agree with FFS. I also like the 12-6 and go a step further to 3. So, 12-6-3. I think/hope that will help my DD to think 'turn the barrel' and 'swing out from her body' not around her body

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Cannonball;192216[B said:
[/B]]RHC, will you stop it with the big words? I'm a hick from the sticks and so, ain't use to them.
Regarding what JB is thinking, I'd say most, if not all MLB players are thinking swing, swing, swing, ... Therefore, the occasional swing at a pitch in the dirt that the typical fan can't understand. However, for many of those we coach, that is not the case. Even when you teach a hitter to look for location and be aggressive, often they are timid with no count. I know one young lady that I coached who just could not swing at a first pitch. I don't know how many times she had a check swing instead of letting it rip on a FB that was called a strike. Many in the area she was reported to be looking in. A lot of pros speak about situational hitting and looking to drive pitches. However, if they aren't thinking swing, they won't be able to catch up to the 95 mph + that is becoming the norm in MLB.

Per girls in FP, that 65 mph + over 38 feet at release also dictates the swing, swing, swing, mentality.

You don't know what those words mean? I don't either and I refuse to go get the dictionary.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
rdbass, alls I know is that I taught this young man and so, that is an example of my clientele.

billy_bob_teeth_318.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
BautistaTake1.gif
BautistaTake2.gif

Here you go Mann.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The Jb video

Bautista-Jose-2011-07-03-2-1-Cliff-Lee-Side-300x200-MUST-FEEL.gif

If you look at the hips, his hips are further along in the swing in the example Mann posted versus the check swings. JMHO!

Attachments

• Bautista-Jose-2011-07-03-2-1-Cliff-Lee-Side-300x200-MUST-FEEL.gif
    Bautista-Jose-2011-07-03-2-1-Cliff-Lee-Side-300x200-MUST-FEEL.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Noon, I was always partial to smelling what the Rock was cooking! Then again, I was also partial to "opening a can of whoop..."

Mann, imo, JB has the ability for adjustment in the final frame you show and so, can still swing or take. I see things differently or at least use different verbiage than the rest of you. I see toe touch initiating dynamic connection. I see the hands and the shoulders maintaining a relationship. BTW, I don't have a problem at all and in fact, my dd uses tip and rip and so, any hand actions or wrist actions here are fine and encouraged in how I coach. I see the x stretch beginning with the tug of war up the torso. As long as the hands have not launched or broken that relationship, imo a check swing is easy. Somewhat harder but not impossible as they begin to lose the relationship with the shoulders. Depending upon what the barrel of the bat is doing, a check can happen. Once the barrel is launched, imo, most of the time the swing can't be stopped in time to prevent a strike being called.

Thank you cannonball, I can picture the relationship.
I teach the stretch and like the hitters to feel that tug of war..

once the wrists begin that break, good luck on checking up. Imho, so the swivel, is not setting right with me, as I can see Bonds hand and wrist movements more adjustable, and Later, into the swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207