Turn the barrel???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012

This barrel turn is just the opposite of the demo above where the claim is it high level.
This out side pitch would be pulled into the first base dugout.
Circular swing
Locking the front leg out early
Lead arm barr
Over rotation

LMAO again
SL

This looks like a PCR swing... from before the time of HI.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Was there a date on this swing by Richard? By definition from Nyman, a PCR(W) swing would be one that matched a MLB swing. How many times would one have to post that there isn't such a thing as a PCR swing? Oops, there I go again.

oofpdaddy, thanks. Really, there are a lot of paths one can take and no one can discount athleticism, work ethic, and "other influences." For my dd, I would think that dd was influenced by Lau, Epstein, Hudgens, ... since I took elements of their ideas or drills or whatever else I might have picked up from each as I progressed in what I taught. My dd also was taught using the concept of PCR(W) as a measuring concept. IOWs, look at her posture, connection and rotation and see if there were flaws or additional work needed. All of our dds including mine need some philosophy that can serve as a way of measuring progress. While most of you disagree with the path I took with mine, I understood what was being taught. I full support any and all of you going whichever route that makes sense to you for yours.

FFS has seen some of the changes in my dd's swing of recent efforts. FFS, she came home today and just left. She said she is crushing the ball in practice. Of course we all know that hitting is two steps forward and one step back so she will have a step back at some point. Still, she is excited for this year.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
FFS, if I may, you are a good friend and have taken the time to make suggestions throughout her journey. There are one or two others. This site as well as one or two others allow for some of us to bounce ideas off of others and the ability to seek opinions from a select few has made my dd better. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Nonsense. It happens in every MLB swing. Ted Williams and Barry Bonds, and Babe Ruth did it best.

The knob goes out and then around, and that simple, small change of direction causes acceleration of the barrel, and it occurs early, without the need for early wrist action. Ted said he used the wrists, but he also said it was a late snap.

The fact that his hands do not go in a straight line, produces tangential acceleration of the barrel, simply by the fact that the hands are moving, and not moving in a straight line. He adds force to this momentum with his wrists, to throw the barrel, after the knob is about at the 4th small circle. Another thing that he said he did.

willaimstop2.gif

Geez, i'm riding around on my lawnmower thinking about this discussion.

Both sides are talking about momentum, and adjustment in the swing.

no one is saying there is no momentum early, just how much is applied and when.

My view at this time is max is reached at the late snap, and, the final adjustment, is also made at this point.

for outside pitches, everything is compressed into a tighter time frame.

teaching large groups of high school girls is a chore, one of the presentations I gave was of how much of the swing was over, before the bat moved, or began its path towards the ball.

this was crucial, because the teams in our league throw heat, and one team won state, we were going to be late on the pitches.

When I get the cage, and turn up the velocity, I will start my swing with no idea of the location of the ball, I will slot, still no idea of exact location, my barrel is dropping, but still laid back, no hand toque yet then fired with powerful wrist action.

Probably not explained well, but this is an area that I need to clarify in my own head.

so is it early max acceleration, even acceleration, or late acceleration?
Bat wrap, is early acceleration, on a plane, that cause a total lack of adjustment.

on a side note. many of my players late in the season, developed all on their own, torqueing the bat, and dumping the barrel, resulting in upper cutting.
it was fixed, rather quickly, with bond's tom hock drill, used in different stances, such as open hips and pulling back, then adding tilt.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hitting coach, Little e vip, friend of mine was thinking about hitting, he also had some chores to do around the house...
Light bulb went off and he thought, I can use the HI barrel turn to get this floor clean.
His basement looks great :D

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nonsense. It happens in every MLB swing. Ted Williams and Barry Bonds, and Babe Ruth did it best.

The knob goes out and then around, and that simple, small change of direction causes acceleration of the barrel, and it occurs early, without the need for early wrist action. Ted said he used the wrists, but he also said it was a late snap.

The fact that his hands do not go in a straight line, produces tangential acceleration of the barrel, simply by the fact that the hands are moving, and not moving in a straight line. He adds force to this momentum with his wrists, to throw the barrel, after the knob is about at the 4th small circle. Another thing that he said he did.

willaimstop2.gif

JBooth, regarding the bold above, can you show me where Ted Williams said he placed an emphasis on "late snap"? In Williams' book he writes that the wrist "snap" is overrated. It's on the same page where he states that the swing is not "level" and it's not "down".

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
SL, why did you have to provide that link? I clicked on it. Strange accusations given his own.

An enigma wrapped in a mystery!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse