Turn the barrel???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013
I am doing as instructed by FFS. I hijacked one of the threads, so I am starting a new one for my education.

I am not sure I understand the "turn the barrel" concept adequately.

Can someone please clarify for me? Additionally, what is a good drill to use to achieve the proper turning of the barrel?

FULL DISCLOSURE... My daughter can't hit her way out of a wet paper bag! She is a 13 yr old pitcher. Too much time focused on pitching practice

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Building a good swing should start from the ground up. Good lower body movement is the foundation for delivering power to the ball. Without it, good upper body movement (including "turning the barrel") will never be effective.

A clip of your DD's swing would be REALLY helpful - game, tee work, or front toss.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A lot of people post clips of hitting off a tee, but anything would be helpful. The tee limits the variables of a pitched ball, and allows your DD to focus on making her best swing. Building a swing is going to take a lot of breaking down each element and practicing it repeatedly. Tee hitting is very useful because it allows the hitter to concentrate on building a new habit instead of dealing with the variables. Obviously, the goal is improving the consistency and power of hitting a pitched ball, but tee work is critical in the process.

As for examples of "turning the barrel", I'm sure FFS and/or rdbass will be along shortly with video examples.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
I am currently on page 35... I want to do my homework before I ask questions... I found one clip of Marcus Giles that seems to make some sense to me, but I'm not sure that it is really describing turn the barrel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse