Tryout Etiquette-shouldn't what happens in tryout stays in tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Heck, sometimes your coach knows you're going to a tryout with a different team before the tryout even happens.

It's like posting on the internet. Just assume everything is known by everyone, almost immediately.

May 29, 2015
I quit reading at the first few sentences of the OP ...

2 years on a C-team and she has regressed ... so she should be on an A- or upper-B team? Yeah, that's about right.

If you feel you need to keep your tryouts secret, you are doing things wrong. You either chose the wrong coach in the first place or you are in the wrong headspace. A good coach knows players will move on and advance -- especially a good low-level coach. That coach's goal should be to get players to advance to higher levels.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Softball is a small extremely gossipy community. Everyone knows what is happening - there is no such thing as 'private'

If you act knowing the above, you will never be surprised. be upfront and transparent - it is better than being caught out.

May 4, 2016
@OP if your child hasn't gotten any better and is playing worse than in 10u don't blame the team...look at yourself and what you and your player have done to get better. Players rarely get better from team practice and tournaments. They get better because of the time they put into the game outside of those practices and tournaments. How do you think national teams that never practice get so good when all they do is individual work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think I have to disagree. Yes working on your own is important. But playing with and especially against better players makes you better.

Feb 1, 2021
On the other hand, there are coaches who are less than honest.

Yup. My DD was offered a spot on a rival team twice but we remained loyal to our team and coach. The next summer, our coach was only loyal to himself, quit coaching and took his kid and half the old team with him to the same team we had declined an invite from previously.

DD was not going to get an invite and our coach knew it. He had no problem withholding the fact that the coach of the team they were going to had blackballed my DD for twice refusing to move over.

Who knew a grown rear man would get butt-hurt over the choices of a 12 year old girl?

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
@OP if your child hasn't gotten any better and is playing worse than in 10u don't blame the team...look at yourself and what you and your player have done to get better. Players rarely get better from team practice and tournaments. They get better because of the time they put into the game outside of those practices and tournaments. How do you think national teams that never practice get so good when all they do is individual work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This!
Tee work most days of the week. Going to the park to take IF/OF.
Hitting/pitching/catching lessons.
This is how you progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2017
We always tell our coach that we will be attending tryouts. Not looking for a new team, but DD (12U-'08) likes to get in as many different practices as she can. Not saying we would not take an offer, but don't see it happening for at least another 3 seasons (2nd year 14U).
DD also picks up any chance she gets and will practice with a few different teams ("A" or older) if it fits her schedule.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
And yet ... the Rocket Club from my five-week summer school program is not running rocket launches for NASA.

Yes, playing better can make you better. Playing over your head will make you drown.

I could not agree more. Playing against better competition is good but only to a point. A rec team playing against a top notch A level team will do nothing for development.
Getting no hit, everyone striking out and run ruled is never fun or educational.

Mar 20, 2019
I could not agree more. Playing against better competition is good but only to a point. A rec team playing against a top notch A level team will do nothing for development.
Getting no hit, everyone striking out and run ruled is never fun or educational.

Been there done that. It demoralizes the girls. They are beaten before they even get on the field.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad